Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007- Glibbidys Mind lubricants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Beerswap 2007- Glibbidys Mind lubricants

I sent out three samples. the neer profiles are attached to each beer.

S- Simply Stout
APA- Amarillo Pale Ale
IIPA- Imperial India Pale Ale

None of these came from my draft system. They were all bottle conditioned exclusively for this project. One of these beers is very special, see if you are able to pick out which beer it is, and which quality makes it so special.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Got the beers in on Friday, I have really started to like IPA's lately so decided I would try that one first.

Appearance- Nice psseft on uncapping. Seems to be pretty cloudy but probably from the shipping. Great head, nice and thick. Stayed around until the last drop. The color was very nice. Great looking beer. Edit.. Let it warm up a bit, started clearing up.

Aroma- Yep definitely an IPA, tons of hop aroma, smells great.

Taste-- I just recently started drinking IPA's and have not had too many to compare this one too. I have had some I liked and some I have not been able to get through. First taste, very nice, great hop flavor with just enough bitterness, not over the top. Just great hop taste.

Mouthfeel-- Not a lawnmower beer, very thick heavy beer. Carbonation seemed perfect.

Overall--- I like it a lot, like I said I have had mixed opinions with IPA's, and this is one I liked a lot. Great hop taste and aroma without a harsh bitterness. Thanks for the great beer, can't wait to try the others. I think I might have to brew this up some time.

Last edited by Ryanh1801; 08-13-2007 at 04:20 AM.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Now on to the simply stout.

Appearance- Very dark with a nice creamy head, looks great.

Aroma -- You can really smells the malts coming through nicely, great aroma coming off this stout.

Taste----- First impression is I have never had a stout like this before, very different taste than im used to in a stout. The one thing I noticed right of the bat was the chocolate malt it comes through nicely and balance seems great. It does seem a little on the sweet side to me.

Overall---- I really liked this one also, your beers have made me realize I have lots to learn still. It did seem like it need maybe a little more hops, im not really sure, but made for a great after dinner beer and I would love to drink more of this brew. Once again well done.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Amarillo Pale Ale

Appearance---Nice psset on opening, poured with a nice head, dissipated fairly quickly, left a nice lacing. Very nice color has almost a ruby red tint when held up to the light, also seems to have some chill haze.

Aroma--- I didn't really smell anything that stuck out, but I have bad allergies so that might be the reason.

Taste---This is definitely one of my favorite styles of beer, and this one taste great. Has a great hop flavor. Has a great balance. I like the mouth feel on this one seems perfect.

Overall--- A very enjoyable beer, very crisp, it would make a great beer on a hot summer day, I could go for a few more.

Thanks for the chance to try your beers, I like all of them. Very enjoyable brews.

As for the beer that has something special in it, I have to guess its the stout, just not sure what it is.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Thanks for the props and the positive feedback.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Here's the Simply Stout

Appearance: A chocolate volcano out of the bottle! It had been sitting in the fridge for several days, but still went crazy. Now, after finally getting it into a glass... Black with a light brown rocky head, initially about 2 inches, but now maintaining a nice quarter inch.

Aroma: Some roast and some dark chocolate and a slighttly floral aroma mixed in.

Taste: Burnt chocolate flavors from the malt and a little sweetness, but there is an acidic flavor in there, almost like lemon. It has a very sharp flavor up front that then fades into the roast and chocolate. Just a little bitterness on the back end.

Overall: I'm wondering if this bottle may be infected. I'm looking at your recipe that you provided and everything looks fine. The grain bill, the hops, gravity, yeast. I can taste the stout in the back end, but the acid flavor is a bit overpowering. Either that or shipping just may have not been kind getting it all the way to me. Looking at the other posts, this seems to be isolated at just my bottle.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-19-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Imperial IPA

Appearance: Deep Gold to amber color with a creamy off-white head, settling to about a half inch

Aroma: Floral hops and a hint of spicyness

Taste: Lots of hop flavor and bitterness giving way to a little malty sweetness, but not tooo much. Mouthfeel is full, but not overly thick. A good balance for an IPA. I am detecting a little stale cardboardy flavor in the aftertaste. After the previous beer I'm more inclined to think that it was the shipping that did the previous one in and is giving this one a hint of cardboard. I get some of the same off flavors after some of mine have sat in my hot garage for a while. I think the gravity on this one saved it more than the stout.

Overall: I wish I could be in your neck of the woods enjoying this beer. And the stout as well. I can tell from both of the beers that I have had so far that they were at some point fantastic beers. I just wish I could have tasted them before shiping.

Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 08-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Pale Ale

Appearance: Amber-Orange with an of white head

Aroma: Hop aroma dominates, combination of citrus and floral. I can smell the Amarillo.

Flavor: Hop flavor comes through nicely first, followed by the bitterness on the back end. There is only a little sweetness, this beer is fairly dry, but very drinkable. The bitterness and hop flavor is balanced and not harsh. It just needs a little more malt profile.

Overall: I can see by the sheet you provided that you missed your target gravity by a bit, making this a lower gravity beer. I bet if you had made the target gravity, the swewetness and body would have been there that this beer is lacking just a little. I also noticed that this one didn't have the off flavors of the others. Shipping must have been kinder to this one some how. Overall a nice beer that has the potential to be great. My favorite.

My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Glibbidy

Recipes 

I'm going to wait until everyone has had a chance to sample the beers before I reveal my thoughts and conclusion on the beer that has some special attributes.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
I'm going to wait until everyone has had a chance to sample the beers before I reveal my thoughts and conclusion on the beer that has some special attributes.
Do you have any left to share next month?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply