The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007: Evan!'s Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the complements and the honesty, Sean. I agree that the ginger is a little much, but oddly enough, that's only happened lately. When this first got bottled, it was not as dry, and the ginger was much less up-front. Amazing what happens when a beer dries out and ages. Next time I think I'll back it down from 3oz of ginger to 2oz, seeing how the aged bottles tend to feature the ginger much more than the younger ones. Thanks again for the feedback!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Smoked Porter

Pour
: Nice pour. Thin head on it, but nice aroma released.
Appearance: Thick, opaque brownish black. Like chocolate syru.

Aroma: Spicy and smokey. Reminiscent of drinking a beer while grilling over charcoal.

Taste: Not as smokey as I expected. Tangy. Smooth blend of sweet and spice. Not very bitter, but definitely hoppy.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: ??

Overall: Really enjoyable. I was afraid I might not like it, but boy did I love it. It would pair great with a good quality steak or lamb chops. This is more of a dinner beer than a daily drinker, but what an explosion of flavor.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Stephiweissen

Pour
: Beautiful.
Appearance: Creamy head on a blonde body. Semi-opaque.

Aroma: Whimsically beautiful. Sweet notes of fruit, esters and sugars.

Taste: Crisp, sweet, complex. As many notes as a scherzo from Mozart.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: Great.

Overall: One of the better Wit's I've had. All sorts of flavors and layers. Really good.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Thanks Cheeseman. I'm really happy with both of those. Unfortunately, I've only got one 12oz and one 750mL of the Steffi left. Gotta make more, and soon, seeing as how the weather is changing, and I'd be a fool to get into barbecue/party season at my place without a good stock of Wit and Hefe. It's been way too long since I've brewed. I do believe this is the longest stint I've had since I started brewing last July...but sometimes stuff just piles on. But I'm in NC right now, and we picked up the new dog this morning. He's awesome. A big ball of energy though. Whew. Makes our other dog look like she's living in slow-mo.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Cherry Stout:

Appearance is very dark, essentially black (shocking, I know). Not a lot of carbonation - not sure if by design or not. Very little head, no head retention. Aroma is faintly cherry, but not overpowering. A bit of roasty, again, not overpowering. No hop aroma, but a little bit of base maltiness comes through.

I'm not a big fan of stouts generally, but this is a very drinkable brew. The cherry is still not overwhelming, it's present and identifiable, but not dominant. Not much bitterness to speak of. Actually, the base flavor that's probably most pronounced is sour, which isn't really bad in this brew. The cherry is definately bringing it into a different realm, partway to a roasted kiek-dom.

It tastes pretty light-bodied and definately much, much more refreshing that I would expect a stout to taste. I wouldn't call it a girly-drink, but it's more on the fruity than beer-y side of the equation.

There's almost a little sweetness in there; not sure if it's coming from the cherries, or if you added a touch of lactose. I suspect the former (because of the relative dryness).

Good beer - very refreshing, and well-balanced. It's not TOO roasty, or TOO bitter, or TOO sour; it's a nice combo of the three.

EDIT: As the brew warms up, the roasted character is coming through a bit more. Still not overwhelming, but it tastes more like a stout after twenty minutes in the glass.

Is this the cranberry-cherry stout? 'Cause I could imagine some of this tartness coming from cranberries, as well, I can get a little bit of that flavor in there now.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Yeah, that's got cherries and cranberries. I wasn't originally planning on using the cranberries, but I fell far short of the necessary amount of sour cherries, so I substituted a little bit of fresh cranberries to achieve the requisite sourness that the cherry stout is famous for.

The lack of carbo wasn't by design...though, some bottles are more carbonated than others. I think that it could've used a little longer in the carbonation room, but I didn't want it sitting in warm temps for too long.

The touch of sweetness is, I believe, from the maltodextrin. No lactose in there. It finished out relatively low...mid-teens I believe, down from 1.055.

I get the same roastiness after warming up the beer. I really like the light, fruity character...that's why I call it a "Spring Stout". Something lighter on the palate for springtime...

Next time, I think I'll try to procure more sour cherries, and do something about the carbonation.

Anyway, thanks for the excellent review...much appreciated!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I let SWMBO sample it after I wrote my review, and she came up with the same observations as I. She thought it might be a little bit too sour. She's also Irish, so I think she was hoping for a little more roastiness in her stout

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 03-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I let SWMBO sample it after I wrote my review, and she came up with the same observations as I. She thought it might be a little bit too sour. She's also Irish, so I think she was hoping for a little more roastiness in her stout
As this was my first cherry stout, I was a little worried about over-doing the roastiness and obscuring the cherry. There's only 3/4 lb of chocolate and 1/4 lb of patent in there. No roasted barley, because I was out of it. next time, I'll have the roasted barley. I know, a stout w/o it? Well, now you see what happens.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #19
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

SteffiWeizen...

Pours very pale and golden, lots of carbonation, thick, creamy head. Aroma is fruity, maybe a little sour (as wheats tend to be), no hops. Slightly hazy, again, appropriate for the style. Light, tart flavor. Nice bite from the carbonation. Fruity notes, almost cherry-like. Not sure that I'm getting sweet out of it, more sour that anything else. Bitterness is in the background, just a little bit in the back of the mouth. Very drinkable. Wits aren't my favorite style, but this is definately something that I could drink more of. Very good example of the style. Nice beer!

Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Lemon-lime pale ale:

First thought was - a lot of hops. Lot of aroma. Piney/resiny at first, I thought initially I was getting into an IPA. Very clear, nice orange color.

The citrus really comes through. It's complementary to the hops. I just had a little belch that was 100% lime, though. The more I drink, the more the lymon comes through in the flavor. Carbonation is good. Beer is pretty thin, but that's good for the style.

I am picking up a bit of a harshness in the flavor, I think it may be coming from the rind. I'm assuming there's real citrus in this? I think I'm picking up a bit of the pith, it's sitting on top of my tongue. The lymon is definately getting stronger as the beer warms up.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this one. Your smoked porter was one of the best homebrews I've had, miles beyond how mine came out. The cherry stout isn't my favorite style, but I thought it was a very good execution of the style and a very drinkable, quenching beer. This one; that pithy bitterness is bothering me. Ialmost want to say it tastes a little waxy? It's not going away, either, it stays on the tongue.

I'm going to let it sit for a few minutes and see how it delelops as it warms up. I'm suspecting that maybe it's just a little too heavy on the lemon/lime. I don't know.

Quick Reply