Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007: Evan!'s Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beerswap 2007: Evan!'s Beers

My recipients were Bird, Cheesefood and Sean. Bird and Sean are reviewing the Winter Warmer and the Imperial Stout, but I sent the Smoked Porter and Steffiweizen to Cheese. With the exception of the Stout, these are all Partial Mash brews (the stout is the last extract/steep brew I did).

So, for your information:

WW: Honey Ginger Winter Warmer. Brewed with several ounces of freshly grated ginger root, plus some baking spices at the end. Fermented around 62f with a crackhead-blend of Bavarian Lager, British Ale and German Hefe yeasts. Lagered for about 5 weeks at 37f. It started out pretty massive and sweeter, but has since dried out considerably, and turned from a ginger-flavored sweet winter warmer to more of a ginger-centric brew.

IS: Imperial Stout
(Or, Dark Horse v1.0). An imperial stout that started high and finished high. I think the FG was in the mid to upper 30's, but much of that has to do with the maltodextrin. Added 8oz of unsweetened chocolate to the boil, and 12 cups (not really, because the "cup" measurement on my coffee carafe isn't really a cup) of local artisan drip coffee added to the secondary. At first it was ALL coffee, but it has mellowed out in the past few months, and has also dried out a bit.

SP: Smoked Porter. Mashed with a few ounces of scottish peated malt, but otherwise, a straight-up porter. Because I had room in my new Lagerator, I cold-conditioned this baby at 36-39f for almost 2 months.

SW: Steffiweizen. Named for the wifey (she likes wheat beer). Not a true hefeweizen; I brewed a wit with a blend of Wit and Hefe yeasts, then strained the wort for the SW right onto the existing cake. So, the presence of the wit yeast negates the official hefe classification, but otherwise, it's a hefe.

Lastly, I sent Bird a few extras, since we had worked out something outside of the beerswap. As such, I would really appreciate any feedback on the rest of those brews, Bird.

So, on with the HONEST criticism. I mean it. Nobody is gonna hurt my feelings with a couple of "ugh"s or "ewwww"s.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Last edited by Evan!; 03-02-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Review of Evan!’s Imperial Stout:

Let me temper my remarks with the fact that I have never had an Imperial Stout. I like Guinness, but haven’t tried very many other stouts.

Pour: The pour is viscous and develops a rich beautiful brown head that lasted for two or three sips. This beer is not for the timid, or faint of heart.

Appearance: It is black and clean.

Aroma: The aroma is rich smoke and coffee.

Taste: The beer is rich and heavy on the palate, as expected. The initial flavor is coffee, and then the chocolate and smoky – caramelized malts come in. An interesting note is that this beer probably has very little or no hops, but the coffee adds a bitterness of its own that balances the sweetness, or perhaps it is the chocolate that adds the bitterness. Either way it works. In the aftertaste the coffee is a bit too much in my opinion. As the beer warmed a bit the flavor became more complex, and it kept me sipping.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: I really don’t have anything to compare this beer to. It is the biggest, richest beer I’ve ever had. It makes Guinness look like a pansy. Sorry I cannot be more concise.

Overall: Forgive me but I never met a hop I didn’t love. This beer is balanced and rich and delicious, and I think would make an excellent ice cream. I think it is a bit too much coffee, but you said that is mellowing with age.

Thanks for letting me try this one Evan!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Evan!'s Smoked Porter (a favorite style of mine, I've been looking forward to this one a lot).

POUR:
Moderate carbonation, appropriate for the style. Brown head that dissipated fairly rapidly (may be my glass). Very dark, essentially black (no light passes when held up to light). Looked clear, not cloudy, as it was poured FWIW.

AROMA:
Smoke, of course, but not overpowering. Definate porter character comes through the smoke, nice roastiness. No hop aroma.

TASTE:
Predominately the roasty goodness of a good porter - smoke is definately in a complementary role. No harshness to the smoke. VERY smooth and extremely drinkable. A little hop flavor in the background, a modest amount of bitterness that can be felt at the back of the throad, very smooth on the front of the palatte. Nicely balanced. A *little* bit of bite from the carbonation, not bad, but this might be even a little smoother if I were patient and let it sit out a few more minutes. Mouthfeel is full but not overwhelming; more melty than chewey.

OVERALL:
An *excellent* example of a very well-balanced porter with a modest amount of smoke adding a very subtle, complementary touch. Much closer in character to Stone Smoked Porter (a personal fave) than to Alaskan Smoked Porter. Not a rauchbier - a very smooth, quafable brew that would be excellent both around the fireplace in the dead of winter and eating BBQ on July 4th.

VERY nice!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to critique, Sean, and thanks for the kind words. I had one of the v1.0 Dark Horsies last night actually, so I'm fresh off it. I agree, there's not too much hoppiness in there. IBU's should be around 65, which is on the lower end relative to the OG/FG. However, as you noticed (impressive, that!), I was anticipating the extra bitterness from the coffee. I don't think the chocolate added much, but the coffee definitely did. I intentionally backed off the flavor/aroma hops (the last hop addition was Saaz @ 30mins from flameout), because I feared a real clash between the hops and the chocolate/coffee.

Yeah, and, um, my apologies that this is your introduction to "big boy" stouts. From Guinness to this is like going from SNPA to to the 120 Minute IIPA. I can imagine it was a bit of a smack in the face, kinda like the first time I had Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout (yikes!). As for the coffee, I'm a coffee freak. A serious snob. To be honest, I'd like to see even more coffee in this brew. Anyway, glad you tried it, and thanks again for the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Review of Evan!’s Imperial Stout:

Let me temper my remarks with the fact that I have never had an Imperial Stout. I like Guinness, but haven’t tried very many other stouts.

Pour: The pour is viscous and develops a rich beautiful brown head that lasted for two or three sips. This beer is not for the timid, or faint of heart.

Appearance: It is black and clean.

Aroma: The aroma is rich smoke and coffee.

Taste: The beer is rich and heavy on the palate, as expected. The initial flavor is coffee, and then the chocolate and smoky – caramelized malts come in. An interesting note is that this beer probably has very little or no hops, but the coffee adds a bitterness of its own that balances the sweetness, or perhaps it is the chocolate that adds the bitterness. Either way it works. In the aftertaste the coffee is a bit too much in my opinion. As the beer warmed a bit the flavor became more complex, and it kept me sipping.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: I really don’t have anything to compare this beer to. It is the biggest, richest beer I’ve ever had. It makes Guinness look like a pansy. Sorry I cannot be more concise.

Overall: Forgive me but I never met a hop I didn’t love. This beer is balanced and rich and delicious, and I think would make an excellent ice cream. I think it is a bit too much coffee, but you said that is mellowing with age.

Thanks for letting me try this one Evan!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Thanks for the crit, Bird. Glad it went over well. I'm very happy with this one. The wonders of "lagering" an ale...it really brought out the smoke and clarified the palate. I wonder, did you let it warm up some before you finished it? This brew is cool like that...it changes substantially as it warms up. That bite from the carbonation surely dissipates as it warms up, and the body expands and smooths out.

The SRM was above the range for a porter, which is why it's so dark, but you're right, it's very "clear", as far as opaque clarity goes. Again, it's from all that time it spent in the lagerator.

This was my first attempt at using smoked malts, and since it was peated and not rauch malt, I had to be really careful not to overdo it. I'm thrilled at the subtle levels of smoke, as the last thing I wanted was a rauch-porter. I was actually trying to get close to Stone's version, of which I'm also a big fan. Speaking of which, if you've never had Stone's porter with a dish of seared sea scallops, then you're missing out. What a great pairing!

So, yeah, thanks again for taking the time to write up the review. Can't wait for yours to get here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Evan!'s Smoked Porter (a favorite style of mine, I've been looking forward to this one a lot).

POUR:
Moderate carbonation, appropriate for the style. Brown head that dissipated fairly rapidly (may be my glass). Very dark, essentially black (no light passes when held up to light). Looked clear, not cloudy, as it was poured FWIW.

AROMA:
Smoke, of course, but not overpowering. Definate porter character comes through the smoke, nice roastiness. No hop aroma.

TASTE:
Predominately the roasty goodness of a good porter - smoke is definately in a complementary role. No harshness to the smoke. VERY smooth and extremely drinkable. A little hop flavor in the background, a modest amount of bitterness that can be felt at the back of the throad, very smooth on the front of the palatte. Nicely balanced. A *little* bit of bite from the carbonation, not bad, but this might be even a little smoother if I were patient and let it sit out a few more minutes. Mouthfeel is full but not overwhelming; more melty than chewey.

OVERALL:
An *excellent* example of a very well-balanced porter with a modest amount of smoke adding a very subtle, complementary touch. Much closer in character to Stone Smoked Porter (a personal fave) than to Alaskan Smoked Porter. Not a rauchbier - a very smooth, quafable brew that would be excellent both around the fireplace in the dead of winter and eating BBQ on July 4th.

VERY nice!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

I fridged mine last night. I'll try it on Sunday.

I owe a big apology to my recipients. I'm so sorry for being late. I'll make it up to you big time.

Also, thanks to Evan for doubling up my order!

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Can't wait for yours to get here...
Yeah, uh, sorry about that... my damn swap and I'm going to miss the swap deadline...

I should have everything packed tonight, but I think that means it goes out on Monday. I owe beer to like five people, I feel like a total dick.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

I'm waiting till Monday too. No use in it sitting in a warehouse over the weekend. My excuse is that I'm out of town most of this week.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Guys, guys, no worries. It'll get here when it gets here.

Speaking of which, the shop where I work got in a new 750mL bottling from Dogfish Head yesterday---'Red and White'---which looks like a Wit (coriander and Curacao), which has pinot noir juice added to it, then is aged in pinot barrels. Think I'll get into it tonight. I'm hyped!

Hope you enjoy, Cheese. Be sure to get all the yeast from that Hefe bottle, it's gooood stuff. And let the porter warm up before you finish it off.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Review of Evan!’s Honey Ginger Winter Warmer:

Review of Evan!’s Honey Ginger Winter Warmer:

Pour: The pour is good, develops quite a tan-ish head that lasted most of the way through the beer.

Appearance: Beautiful amber and brown color, not really clear, but clean.

Aroma: The aroma is Spicey ginger. This is obviously fresh ginger. You also get just a hint of clove.

Taste: When it is cold this beer is all about the fresh ginger. It is piquant with fresh ginger. As it warms the other flavors start to come out and it develops into a very complex beer. The ginger remains, the clove, becomes more evident, and a bit of maltiness is there. It also has the distinct dryness that honey adds to a brew. I’m not sure if that is from the cleanness of the ginger, or the dryness of the beer. It has a very clean finish.

Proximity to Traditional Styles: ??

Overall: Evan!’s beers are all there; full flavored, but also complex. This one has a bit too much ginger perhaps. I enjoyed the way this beer changed while I drank it. I was really wishing for some spicy Thai food to go with this beer. It would be killer with some scallops in green curry coconut broth and steamed jasmine rice.

Thanks Evan!

Quick Reply