The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 cnbudz's beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brown Ale

Next up: the Brown Ale

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics:
Another low fill, IMHO, and a rather forceful hiss at uncapping, but the pour was nice and the head was manageable. Larger bubble size/matrix, with a slight bone color---perfect for a brown. The color is a nice woody brown...approaching opaque towards the center of the glass, but nice brown leading to burgundy colors towards the edge.

Aroma: Malt-o-riffic. This is precisely why I love brown ales. Deliciously malty, yeasty, nutty character, with hints of caramel and fresh biscuits poking through. Slightly roasted nose fading in and out...got more prevalent as the temp rose.

Palate: A fine, refreshing beverage! Nice weight...smooth mouthfeel, with all those roasty, nutty, bready characteristics from the nose following through to the palate. Also getting hints of chocolate malt, which I'm suspecting was used. I get no extract twang whatsoever, which is a great feat in extract beers as far as I'm concerned. The complexity lacks a bit, as there is no hop flavor to speak of, but that could be fixed with some late additions. You don't want too much in a brown, of course, but this brew could definitely handle some.

Proximity to the Style: Spot-on.

Overall Impression: Very clean, flawless brew. Well-done; everything I'm looking for from a nice mellow brown. This is one style I haven't tackled yet, but I'd love to produce something of this quality. The only suggestions would be some more flavoring hops (just a touch more), and maybe a specialty yeast to add some complexity.

Thanks for the brews, cnbudz. Loved every minute of it. The Old Marley Barleywine was awesome stuff, and the Old Hag was hops in a can...very yummy!

Anyway...thanks again...you make damn good brew.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply