Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007 - Brewsmith's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Brewsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default Beerswap 2007 - Brewsmith's Beers

Here's my thread for the tasting since bottles should arrive starting tomorrow. (Monday for two of you. Sorry, it's a long way from Los Angeles) Just a reminder in case you throw out the list I packed in the boxes:

Gold Cap - Old Helicon Barleywine 2006
Red Cap - Belgian Dubbel
Black Cap - Vienna Lager
Blue Cap - 07.07.07 Rye IPA

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

got it friday just as i was leaving for Baltimore for the sox game
seems to be safe and sound

Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dubbel:

Opening/pouring:Good sound upon opening poured a nice head that fell back to a thin layer but stayed around the entire time. good lace

Aroma: all the malty complexity a dubbel should be. picking up hints of all different kinds of flavors

Appearance: slightly hazy, beautiful deep red color was perfect and even looked complex.

Taste: Very complex there were raisin tastes as well as molasses and a few other independent sweet flavors I could not nail down

Mouthfeel/carbonation: carbonation was good. However, there seemed to be some hotness in this beer. At times it was almost like I was drinking a red wine. there was just too much of the back of the throat hotness.

Overall: The flavor complexity and color were perfect. The alcohol burn just brought this one down a little. If you want to send me another one in december I would be more than happy to drink this again

Last edited by joebou4860; 08-29-2007 at 02:36 AM.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Rye IPA, 7.7.7

Opening/Pouring/Aesthetics: Nice long pfft on opening. Poured vigorously, nice 1/2 inch head which faded after a minute or so, very small head remained. Clarity is good but not great -did not clear up as it warmed. Nice deep golden color.

Aroma: Good spicy aroma, nice and malty. I smell some alcohol as well. Hop aroma is faint but there. Good complex aroma.

Taste: Good malty, spicy, fruity taste. The rye in this is really nice, definitely adds complexity to the malt taste. Hop bitterness is well balanced, I was expecting more - but I shouldn't go off expectations. Finishes bitter, a little alcohol heat.

Accordance with Style: What style? Other than the rye, this would make a nice high-grav IPA. With the rye it makes a non-traditional great beer.

Overall Impression: Unfortunately, at 4 months old the hop aroma has no doubt faded, I would like more hop aroma, but maybe that's just personal preference. Other than that, and the slight presence of alcohol taste and aroma, this was a great beer. Very well balanced, great spicy complexity from the rye, body was really nice, and all in all very enjoyable. Looking forward to the rest.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Old Helicon Barleywine 2006

Aroma: Strong malt aroma with some complexity. I could pick out some molasses and caramel notes. No hop aroma at all.

Appearance: A good dark brown, almost black. Too dark to make out any clarity.

Taste: After the strong malt aroma, I was very disappointed to find only a mild malt flavour with little complexity. Only a slight touch of hop bitterness. There was a strange off-flavor at the finish, possibly the onset of oxidation.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Mouthfeel was on the thin side for a barleywine. Carbonation left an inch head that persisted almost to the end of the glass.

Overall: I was really confused by this one. The aroma was strong, but the flavour was not and I really can't figure out why this might be. Possibly the bottle picked up a little wild yeast? Might explain the dryness and lack of flavour, but I am just guessing at this point.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Belgian Dubbel

Aroma: No detectable hop aroma. Low level of phenolics. A faint amount of alcohol aroma.

Appearance: Nice light golden colour. Some haziness, but that's expected with most belgians.

Taste: Faint amount of hop bitterness with a low amount of alcohol heat. Phenolics were stronger in the flavour, complementing the malt and not overpowering.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Fairly dry mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little light for the style, but the head persisted through most of the glass.

Overall: A very good dubbel. The carbonation was the only thing that was a little off, but not enough to detract from a very enjoyable beer.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicous
Belgian Dubbel

Aroma: No detectable hop aroma. Low level of phenolics. A faint amount of alcohol aroma.

Appearance: Nice light golden colour. Some haziness, but that's expected with most belgians.

Taste: Faint amount of hop bitterness with a low amount of alcohol heat. Phenolics were stronger in the flavour, complementing the malt and not overpowering.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Fairly dry mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little light for the style, but the head persisted through most of the glass.

Overall: A very good dubbel. The carbonation was the only thing that was a little off, but not enough to detract from a very enjoyable beer.
Are you sure this was the Belgian? The color on this one was a dark brown, almost red.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #8
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My notes might be screwed, or maybe my lighting. Definitely golden colour though with enough haze that I could only just see my fingers through the glass. I will double check my notes to make sure I did not transpose something with the lager when I copied them to bring to work.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry, but didn't take good notes on these. Drank Vienna lager last night and the Dubbel tonight. Trying my best, I feel bad like I disrespected you/your beers. This is all from memory, didn't get drunk either night so they should be pretty accurate. I had the dubbel only a couple hours ago.

Vienna Lager - This one was very nice, malty and smooth. Dark amber, no hop aroma but nice rich malty aroma. This was a very enjoyable beer, the beer poured with a nice head but faded fairly quickly. And after that there wasn't much carbonation. That would be the only shortcoming in my mind. Other than that it was a very smooth easy drinking beer. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, again could of used more carb IMHO. Everything was stylistically corect except for the carb. Great beer.

Dubbel - This beer was very nice as well. Poured with nice head that remained throughout. Nice medium brown/red color w/good clarity -beautiful. Taste was very dark fruity and caramelly. Good flavor complexity but not great, it was fairly straightforward but I liked it in this belgian style. You don't need crazy complexity evrytime. Carb level was nice and high, bubbles seemed almost too small or something I can't place. There was a little alcohol heat/burn but not too bad at all. Nice raisiny/fruity/malty aroma. This was my favorite so far, the little alcohol heat did not get in the way of me really enjoying this beer.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Vienna Lager

Aroma: Right off the bat, I liked this beer. Beautiful malt and noble hop aroma that was moderate at cold temps and increased as the beer warmed.

Appearance: Light amber color, strong white head that lasted through most of the glass.

Taste: Low to moderate hop bitterness and flavour, good clean malt flavour that was the principal taste throughout. An off-flavour at the finish, which I think is DMS. I know this is common with this style, but I don't have enough experience to pin-point it or say if it was too much.

Mouthfeel/carbonation: Medium mouthfeel, carbonation seemed a little light overall, but I think most of it went into the head.

Overall: I need to brew this style. With the possible exception of the off-flavour in the finish, everything was well done.

Quick Reply