Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beer of the Week: Stone Imperial Russian Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #21
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Let's just get crackin'. I don't have a Stone (yet), but I'm pretty I've got an IS in the fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #22
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I had it as soon as the distributor dropped off the cases at our shop, long before this thread got posted. I'd been waiting for it. Didn't see this thread till today though.

Damn fine stuff. Viscous, a little "hot" from the ABV, strong roasted flavors and aroma. Bitterness is spot-on for an RIS, though, but I'm missing some kind of hop flavor/aroma. I like this stuff, alot, but for my money, I'm a bigger fan of Avery's 'Czar'. I know some people on these boards like to hate on Avery, but damnit, the Czar and Mephistopheles are magnificent. But regardless, I love the Stone version too. Highly recommended.

Funny, I made almost the same comment about the missing hop/flavor component to a friend that was eyeing my bottle the other week like a vulture around roadkill. My local still has numerous bottles available so I might just have to cellar a couple after all.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the past I would buy a case of each of the Stone releases as they came out. I'd have barley wine, the imperial stout, the vertical epics, double bastard, and whatever anniversary beer they decided to release.

Lately though, I've been less impressed with them. They seemed to have settled. The 06.06.06 wasn't really that inspirational at all, and it seems that once you've had it a few years in a row something that was interesting pretty much just becomes average.

Of course, I only live 30 miles from their brewery so I can find it on every corner. But I find that lately I'm more impressed with the batch releases from Ballast Point and Alesmith and even the Pizza Port and that Stone is just sort of treading water.

I kind of miss when I would get really excited about their releases and rush out to buy all I could find. I still drink their beer from time to time (had a double bastard the other night) but I'm finding more and more that they just don't inspire me anymore.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oh and since this is a stout thread, I'll gladly pick up a growler fill of Speedway tomorrow and let you all know how that goes.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #25
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

F'n Speedway! the other night i got ogled in to drinking 1.5 pints, in addition to all of what I was drinking that night... let just say say I crashes my bike twice riding home that night, and stumbled in to my front window, cracking it...F'n speed way. It should only be served in an 8oz goblet, never a pint glass...I think I was drunk till noon the next day after that...good stuff though, nice coffee flavor but not too over powering, it's just the 12% alcohol that gets you.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #26
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well what do ya know, a buddy dropped off a few commercial beers in exchange for regular homebrew samples and I got another Stone IRS!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #27
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How does the Beer of the Week thing work? Everyone commits to trying the same beer and we try to get a bunch of reviews at one time?

I haven't had the Stone RIS, but I just might give it a shot. Victory Storm King is one of the finest beers I've ever tasted.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Quick Reply