Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beer Swap III - Mutilated1's Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beer Swap III - Mutilated1's Brews

Hi Guys, I stopped by UPS after work today and got your beers sent off. It was after hours before I dropped them off so it will be Monday probably before they get picked up and put in transit.

Anyway, I sent you each two 22oz beers, and two 12 oz beers.

In 22OZ.

No Sticker = Lager #1

Green Sticker = Lager #2

Yellow Sticker = Blonde Ale

In 12 oz, I sent you each a stout and a Pale Ale. I just bottled the 12oz bottles this week, so drink them last.

Hopefully Since you're each getting 4 different beers, that you'll find at least one of them that you like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1
Hi Guys, I stopped by UPS after work today and got your beers sent off. It was after hours before I dropped them off so it will be Monday probably before they get picked up and put in transit.

Anyway, I sent you each two 22oz beers, and two 12 oz beers.

In 22OZ.

No Sticker = Lager #1

Green Sticker = Lager #2

Yellow Sticker = Blonde Ale

In 12 oz, I sent you each a stout and a Pale Ale. I just bottled the 12oz bottles this week, so drink them last.

Hopefully Since you're each getting 4 different beers, that you'll find at least one of them that you like.
I think I got 3 no stickers and a yellow sticker. Does that sound right?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Should have 1 22oz with no sticker, 1 22 oz with a yellow sticker, and then 2 12 ozs that don't have a sticker. The 22 oz with no sticker is a lager, the yellow sticker is a blonde, and the 12 ozs are a stout and a Pale Ale - I didn't mark those because you can look through the bottle and tell them apart. Try the 2 small bottles last, they were just bottled so let them sit another day or two maybe a week.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Please don't think I'm dumb- I got a green sticker and a "no sticker" in 22 0unce bottles. Is that two different lager recipes?

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #5
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Please don't think I'm dumb- I got a green sticker and a "no sticker" in 22 0unce bottles. Is that two different lager recipes?

Thanks!
yes, thats correct

Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

OK, my tasting partner and I tried the 22 ounce bomber with no sticker. I assume it's a lager but don't know the style. That said, I can give my impressions:

Aroma: Mild aroma with no esters or grassy-ness at all. No overt hops or malt, but There is a certain slight aroma (not unpleasant but unexpected) that I can't quite place. 7/12

Appearance- beautiful! Nice golden color with a gorgeous long lasting head. Very clear and the head texture is awesome! 3/3

Flavor: Well, this is a little different. I opened it very cold and the flavor at first was crisp with a bitter aftertaste. No diacetyl detected at the very cold temperature. I sipped very slowly, and as it warmed the bitter aftertaste changed to a much harsher tannic flavor. I didn't taste it at 40 degrees, but it's obvious now. It's not exactly husky or grainy- but a very dry lingering tannic aftertaste. It detracts from the beer only very slightly, though- because it's a good beer! and it wasn't even apparent when the beer was really cold. Now, my glass is empty and I'm wishing I had a little more. 11/20

Mouthfeel: These was nice- crisp, mild, with the perfect amount of carbonation that lasted until the end. 4/5

Impression: A well made beer with no noticeable flaws except for that tannic aftertaste that became apparent as the beer warmed. The only improvement I can think of is to see the recipe and try to determine where that's coming from. Otherwise, it seems to be a well made beer with some great qualities. 6/10

31/50.

Thanks- I liked trying this one!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Thanks for the review. Concerning the "tannic aftertaste". I've also noticed this after taste, and everyone else who tries it has made a similar comment about the strong aftertaste. I was kind of hoping you'd be able to help me identify the cause of the strong taste ?

One thing I know of is that I made that beer back in the summer and even though its supposed to be a lager, the best I could do on controlling the temperatures was 67 degrees or so. Another thing is that I made the beer from extract. Do you think that was likely the cause of the strong after taste ?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the review. Concerning the "tannic aftertaste". I've also noticed this after taste, and everyone else who tries it has made a similar comment about the strong aftertaste. I was kind of hoping you'd be able to help me identify the cause of the strong taste ?

One thing I know of is that I made that beer back in the summer and even though its supposed to be a lager, the best I could do on controlling the temperatures was 67 degrees or so. Another thing is that I made the beer from extract. Do you think that was likely the cause of the strong after taste ?
No, it's probably not temperature related but I don't know that for sure. Is it possible that the grain husks were too finely ground? Or that the sparge water was too hot? That's actually what I thought of when I tasted it. If you post the recipe and technique, I might be able to pick it out.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
Mutilated1

Recipes 

Quote:
Is it possible that the grain husks were too finely ground? Or that the sparge water was too hot?
I don't think thats a possibility because I made that beer from extract, and didn't use any grain or sparge water.

I had kind of assumed that the taste was the "extract twang" taste that you read people post about ?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I had kind of assumed that the taste was the "extract twang" taste that you read people post about ?
No, it's definitely not "extract twang". That is more sweetly sryup-y twanging. The flavor in your beer was most definitely tannic. Did you use only extract? What kind of yeast?

Maybe your water?

From Palmer:

Astringent
Astringency differs from bitterness by having a puckering quality, like sucking on a tea bag. It is dry, kind of powdery and is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages. Bacterial infections can also cause astringency, i.e. vinegar tones from aceto bacteria.

The brown scum that forms during fermentation and clings to the side of the fermentor is intensely bitter and if it is stirred back into the beer it will cause very astringent tastes. The scum should be removed from the beer, either by letting it cling undisturbed to the sides of an oversize fermentor, or by skimming it off the krausen, or blowing off the krausen itself from a 5 gallon carboy. I have never had any problems by simply letting it cling to the sides of the fermentor.

Quick Reply