Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/)
-   -   Beer Swap 2007 - jnorris's Beers (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/beer-swap-2007-jnorriss-beers-35897/)

jnorris 08-08-2007 11:25 PM

Beer Swap 2007 - jnorris's Beers
 
I sent my beers Monday August 8th to these unfortunate people :) Edwort, cj8scrambler, Ryanh1801. I sent an American Amber, American Light Ale and a Full-Bodied Weizenbier. All three beers are Brewers Best extract kit beers. I just started brewing last December and felt that this was a great chance to get feedback on my brews!

Brewer's Best American Amber Kit

Malt Extract
  • 3.3 lbs Plain Amber Malt Extract
  • 2 lbs Plain Amber DME
Specialty Grains
  • 8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
Hops
  • 1 oz. Willamette (60 min)
  • 1 oz. Willamette (15 min)
Yeast
  • White Labs California Ale Yeast

I boiled two gallons of water and pitch yeast at 1.045 and fermented for eight days. I then transfered to a secondary for 14 days then added priming sugar and bottled on April 30th.


Brewer's Best American Light Kit

Malt Extract
  • 3.3 lbs Plain Light Malt Extract
  • 2 lbs Plain Light DME
  • 1 lbs Rice Syrup Solids
Hops
  • 1 oz. Saaz (60 min)
  • 1/4 oz. Saaz (15 min)
Yeast
  • Dry yeast that was included in kit

I boiled two gallons of water and pitch yeast at 1.038 and fermented for seven days. I then transfered to a secondary for 14 days then added priming sugar and bottled on June 24th.


Brewer's Best Full-Bodied Weizenbier Kit

Malt Extract
  • 6.6 lbs Wheat Malt Extract
Hops
  • 1 oz. Hallertau (60 min)
  • 1/2 oz. Hallertau (15 min)
Yeast
  • White Labs Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

I boiled two gallons of water and pitch yeast at 1.046 and fermented for eight days. I then transfered to a secondary for 5 days, then added priming sugar and bottled on July 4th.

Ryanh1801 08-08-2007 11:52 PM

Amber ale. Got two of these and on one the cap popped off during shipping when I got it so, I quickly recapped it and drank it that night, so I will be giving it another review after a few days in the fridge on the other.

Appearance- Poured nicely with about a 1/2 inch head, dissipated fairly quickly and left a nice lacing. The beer was fairly dark (due im sure to LME), When held up a light had a nice deep amber color, seemed pretty hazy, but probably due to the fact that it was in a UPS truck not 3 hours ago.

Smell- Very nice floral/ citrus.

Taste- This was a very smooth nice drinker, nice balance between hops and malt, seemed just about perfect for the style also had a slight citrus flavor that was nice. Had just a hint of extract twang, but was tons less than I use to have on my extract brews.

Overall- I liked it alot, I could see myself throwing a few of these back on a hot summer day..

Ryanh1801 08-09-2007 04:30 AM

Weizenbier
Aperance- Nice head on pour, stayed nicely through out the drink.

Aroma- Slight smell of cloves other than that nothing else I can pick up on.

Taste- Ok I will be the first to say, I am not a huge fan of German wheats, but have never had a homebrew one, or a fresh one. Up front is a nice taste of cloves, but not over powering. Can't pick up much on a banana taste. Which might be a good thing, because I am really, really enjoying this one. :ban: And honestly if I could not see the color of this one, I would think it was a commercial brew. Very nice tasting.

Overall- I think you might have converted me to liking German wheats. This was a very nice brew. I went into drinking this one thinking, I would probably not enjoy it too much, but man I am really enjoying it. Excellent brew!! Do you know which yeast you used on this one?

jnorris 08-09-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Weizenbier
Aperance- Nice head on pour, stayed nicely through out the drink.

Aroma- Slight smell of cloves other than that nothing else I can pick up on.

Taste- Ok I will be the first to say, I am not a huge fan of German wheats, but have never had a homebrew one, or a fresh one. Up front is a nice taste of cloves, but not over powering. Can't pick up much on a banana taste. Which might be a good thing, because I am really, really enjoying this one. :ban: And honestly if I could not see the color of this one, I would think it was a commercial brew. Very nice tasting.

Overall- I think you might have converted me to liking German wheats. This was a very nice brew. I went into drinking this one thinking, I would probably not enjoy it too much, but man I am really enjoying it. Excellent brew!! Do you know which yeast you used on this one?


Thanks for the praise! Just like you I wasn't a real big fan of wheats but the SWMBO is. So I made this one for her and I ended up liking it more then she did. She prefers the banana taste opposed to the cloves. As for the yeast I used White Labs Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. The color is almost on the light end of a Dunkelweizen (sp?)

Ryanh1801 08-09-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnorris
Thanks for the praise! Just like you I wasn't a real big fan of wheats but the SWMBO is. So I made this one for her and I ended up liking it more then she did. She prefers the banana taste opposed to the cloves. As for the yeast I used White Labs Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. The color is almost on the light end of a Dunkelweizen (sp?)

Do you know if it was the 300 or the 380?

jnorris 08-09-2007 03:24 PM

I believe it was the 300...but I can check when i get home.


Edit: The yeast is WLP300

cj8scrambler 08-11-2007 01:30 AM

Weizen
I got a good solid psst when uncapped. It poured well and gave a thick head. The head did subside rather quickly, but it's possible that it was my glass. Since it was a wheat, I poured the whole bottle and got a cloudy haze. The color seems a little dark for a wheat beer, but I had this same problem when using extracts. It tasted malty and was slightly stronger in flavor then I expected. I detected banana flavor which seems to be the opposite of what Ryanh noted (cloves). The carbonation level seemed good.

American Lite
Again, a solid psst sound when opening it up. I got a medium head with very fine bubbles which dissipated quickly again. There was a bit of cloudiness, but this bottle only had a few hours to settle before it was poured. The medium blond color was a little dark, but again this is expected from malt extract. The only distinct flavor I could pick up was the yeast (due to the lack of settling). Otherwise the flavors were well balanced. There was a very slight hop aroma and no bitterness detected. The carbonation was ok, but could have been cranked up for this style. Overall a great beer for working outside in the summer.

Ryanh1801 08-14-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnorris
I believe it was the 300...but I can check when i get home.


Edit: The yeast is WLP300

Thanks for letting me know, I think im gonna get some stuff tomorrow to brew one up.

Ryanh1801 08-17-2007 11:47 PM

Ok on to the American Light

Appearance- Nice head on pour, light in color, probably the lightest of the bunch, very clear, no chill haze or anything. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma-- Just a tad bit of hop aroma, not much else going on which seems to be inline with the style.

Taste-- Smooth light beer, just what I would expect from the style.

Overall-- Nice beer, not my favorite style, but nicely done, tasted good after I mowed the lawn today. Only thing I would change is upping the carbonation on this one.

Thanks for the beers I enjoyed them a lot, you are a hell of a lot better extract brewer than I was, none of mine ever tasted this good. :mug:

EdWort 08-18-2007 12:03 AM

I got back in town yesterday and your bottles were waiting for me. They are in the fridge now, settling and chilling. Tomorrow is the big day.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:51 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.