Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/)
-   -   All Simcoe APA (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/all-simcoe-apa-10259/)

SwAMi75 06-13-2006 03:59 AM

All Simcoe APA
 
So, I got this stuff carbed up and have been err, sampling it the past couple days. This is my first experience with Simcoe hops.

First of all, the hop presence is definitely there. What surprises me is that overall, they're fairly subdued. I only went for 42 IBU, and at 14.4% AA it only took 1.5oz of them for the 5.5 gal batch, plus 1oz of dry hop. I used them at 60, 20, 5 min, and flameout to get a feel for them across the spectrum.

The bitterness is very smooth, very little bite. The flavor is really different, though. I'd describe it as earthy, piney, and slightly citrusy. Also has almost a slight pineapple flavor. Aroma is pretty much more of the same. It really doesn't jump out at you like the "C" hops, but it's there.

I like it, and in the future I think I'll use it primarily for bittering, then probably blended with something else for flavor/aroma additions. I think it would work well to take the edge off hops like Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, etc. in those departments.

Dude's going to try some tomorrow. We'll see what he thinks, since he's a bigshot and all. :D

Blender 06-13-2006 04:40 AM

I've been curious about this hop and Amarillo as well. Glad to hear that it combos well with Amarillo. I just finished an all Amarillo pale ale and have a Simcoe-Amarillo pale ale planned for my next brew.

SwAMi75 06-13-2006 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blender
I've been curious about this hop and Amarillo as well. Glad to hear that it combos well with Amarillo. I just finished an all Amarillo pale ale and have a Simcoe-Amarillo pale ale planned for my next brew.

Just to clarify, I was only voicing my opinion that it would work well with the other hops. This is the first time I've used it, and I think it will.

If your Simcoe/Amarillo APA comes out like crap, I don't want you coming back and blaming me! :D

Actually, now that I've experienced Simcoe, I think I'm going to dry hop it with some Amarillo in the keg, just to liven it up a bit more.

Blender 06-13-2006 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwAMi75

If your Simcoe/Amarillo APA comes out like crap, I don't want you coming back and blaming me! :D

How about if it turns out really good. I'll give you credit.:D

Ivan Lendl 06-13-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwAMi75
Just to clarify, I was only voicing my opinion that it would work well with the other hops. This is the first time I've used it, and I think it will.

If your Simcoe/Amarillo APA comes out like crap, I don't want you coming back and blaming me! :D

Actually, now that I've experienced Simcoe, I think I'm going to dry hop it with some Amarillo in the keg, just to liven it up a bit more.

I just bottled an apa that has columbus for bittering and simcoe for flavor/aroma and amarillo dry hopped...ill keep ya updated. (i can tell you already it smells good)

cweston 06-13-2006 01:15 PM

I did an all-Columbus APA that's fantastic.

I love columbus for bittering and for aroma (including dryhopping).

Next time I try this I might use something a little smoother (amarillo or simcoe, maybe) instead of or in addition to the columbus for flavor. Right now the flavor hops in my all-columbus brew are a little on the harsh side, but it is very green so we'll see how it mellows.

Ivan Lendl 06-13-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cweston
I did an all-Columbus APA that's fantastic.

I love columbus for bittering and for aroma (including dryhopping).

yeah when i tasted it out of the primary it was REALLY bitter, and i only used .5 oz!

im thinking the Simcoe/Amarillo combo will be similar to a Northern brewer/cascade combo

Rhoobarb 06-13-2006 06:26 PM

I really like Simcoe, too. It isn't overly grapefruity or grassy like some of the 'C' hops. I'd like to try an all-Simcoe ale; that sounds interesting.

I did an Imperial IPA using Centennial, Warrior and Simcoe in equal amounts. It's just reached maturation and tastes fantastic! I think it's the best IPA I've ever brewed. The malt/hop balance is nice and the hops are defintely in your face but not overpowering or too bitter. I posted the recipe here.

Dude 06-14-2006 01:42 AM

I finally got to taste this baby today. Very nice. The simcoe hops are very strange--They have the bitterness of a high alpha hop but it still remains subdued. I absolutely love the aroma of these things. Sam said pineapple, and I agree totally. I'm also getting something else in there that I can't put my finger on. "Piney" is definitely not what I'd describe them though.

At any rate--he did a super job on this beer--especially considering that it was his first effort in almost what, 6 months?

It is really too bad that it'll prolly be gone before it hits its peak!

todd_k 06-17-2006 10:34 PM

Dude,

Did you recently do a Simcoe only IPA? I thought you were the one (or maybe it was Swami). Anyway, I just tried Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA and it is g-u-d good!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.