Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
EricCSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout

Today I chilled and tapped the Austin Homebrew Supply Holiday Chocolate Stout.

I brewed it near the end of September, had about a three week primary, then kegged with priming sugar. Three weeks at room temp (about 74 degrees right now), then chilled for a day and tapped.

It definitely has a strong roasty, coffee-like flavor. The spices are stronger in the aroma than the actually taste. The spices seem to be at just the right level. I was surprised that it is very drinkable for how young it is. There is a slight off flavor that I can't my finger on. I will be bringing it to a more trained palate soon to identify it, if possible.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
NYCBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks great. I bottled mine on 11/20 so it has a ways to go until I crack one open. That said, what FG did you hit? After 3+ weeks in primary, I couldn't get lower than 1.025.

It did taste good out of the primary, but a little sweeter than I would have liked. I added some 100% fermentables to my wort during the boil and ended up with 1.08 SG. So this should still pack a punch (which is good because I don't imagine drinking more than 1 or 2 of these at a time).

I also racked 1 gallon to secondary and added a chipotle pepper. Having dreams of a Mexican Hot Chocolate beer. Will definitely post results!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBrewGuy View Post
Looks great. I bottled mine on 11/20 so it has a ways to go until I crack one open. That said, what FG did you hit? After 3+ weeks in primary, I couldn't get lower than 1.025.

It did taste good out of the primary, but a little sweeter than I would have liked. I added some 100% fermentables to my wort during the boil and ended up with 1.08 SG. So this should still pack a punch (which is good because I don't imagine drinking more than 1 or 2 of these at a time).

I also racked 1 gallon to secondary and added a chipotle pepper. Having dreams of a Mexican Hot Chocolate beer. Will definitely post results!
My SG was 1054 and my FG was 1016. The off flavor was astringency, perhaps I oversparged.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Quick Reply