Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Swap and Critique Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #61
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Thanks, xeerohour I'm glad you got yours, but no I wasn't referring to you. Glad you liked the T.B.A. but no, I don't know how old it was.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #62
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

smokinghole, I'm drinking this Flanders right now and it's fantastic, as good as any commercial one I've had. Nice and sour, beer still has a little body despite being quite dry. What did you sour it with?

As far as the Wee Heavies, none of the heavy beers in my fridge have been calling out to me. I was on a serious malty beer kick before this and kind of burned out and have been craving lighter beers and IPAs. So I've been focusing on the non 12.12.12 beers

Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #63
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The beer was fermented with ECY02. The recipe was almost 30% crystal by the way so that might explain the residual body. Now this could be just being super critical but I also suspect it is a possibility that a slight viscosity built back up in the beer. There may be a slight bitterness/astringency due to me using purple corn in the beer. I had to "fix" it with ascorbic acid, only like a tablespoon for 10 gal. The ascorbic acid broke the reaction of anthocyanins and acrolein that formed from the very high level of anthocyanin in the purple corn.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #64
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Viscosity like in a lacto ropiness? It certainly didn't seem ropy on the palate. As far as the corn thing, dang you lost me bro. Evidently I have a lot left to learn.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #65
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah viscosity like lacto/pedio ropiness. Like I said could just be me being overly critical of my own brew. If you want to read about the corn thing read this for the reason whyPurple Corn = bad in sour beer. When I inverviewed at Victory I brought this beer for everyone in the interview to taste. I figured with them talking about more barrel aged experimental stuff it'd be appropriate. Then I explained the corn thing and I think I almost made their eyes roll back in their heads because I went full blown geek.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #66
MDVDuber

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had to pull out the old Plant Physiology texts....

All - I've been fighting a cold and figured that since Founders Imperial Stout tasted bland to me that I should wait to try all of the samples I've been sent.

I will be cracking some beers this week and will do my best to properly represent them here.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #67
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got my package from CA-LT1 literally as I was packing my car up with the final stuff to leave for SC. My comment to UPS, "No, I'm trying to leave! Oh wait, it's beer..."

I haven't tried the 12-12-12 yet. The other two, though...

The first, um, I have no idea what it was. I don't remember the cap code, unfortunately, and it was lost/thrown away during the move. It was sour and strong, is all I know. Not going to lie, I wasn't much a fan. I'm sure the beer was fine, but I didn't like it. Sorry, dude.

EDIT: I'm dumb; just read back a few pages. So, it was a Barleywine, eh? Did you use Brett or Lacto? Mine was fairly sour. I've had Barleywines before and liked them alright, but I never had one soured. Also, thank you a million times over for the Pliny. That is definitely a treat that I've never enjoyed before. I saved the bottle. It's right up there with Heady Topper.

Next up was "P", which I guessed to be Pumpkin. Ding-ding! Whoa, this stuff is awesome. Tastes like eating pumpkin pie. It's probably the closest to DFH Punkin Ale, which is my personal favorite example of the style. Recipe, please?

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #68
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Alright, cracked open CT-LT1s 12-12-12...

Appearance: Poured with a medium carb level that belied the faint hiss upon cracking the bottle - about a half finger head atop a nice deep mahogany beer. Bubbles are still fizzing up as I write this, although the head is long gone.

Smell: Very ripe plums, molasses, raisins, brandy.

Taste: Less oxidizing present than the others (including my own). Initial taste is a little less cloying that some; the higher carb level is probably helping. (Repeated note to self: carb this higher when you make it) I'm picking up plums and raisins again, with maybe some faint cantaloupe - that bright, sugary, fruity flavor. The carb has a pleasant bite that lingers and helps to counter the huge maltiness. Alcohol makes itself known very faintly; you're aware that it's there, but not overly so. Sneaky, this.

Overall: A very well balanced brew! I'm really digging these ones that have the higher carb level to balance them out. Flat, or near flat beers (again, so many apologies for my End of the World Stout I sent out) have an annoying way of becoming overly thick to drink.

Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #69
CA-LT1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey Steph, thanks for the reviews, and for being honest! Yeah, barley wine, but maybe the bottle I sent you somehow got infected. I've been drinking one every few months, and while there's only some bitterness still remaining, I haven't had one I'd call sour. Was it clear? I'm having one right now, and it's crystal. Still hot though, it is 12% after all.

The pumpkin ale was basically Renoenvy's recipe with some hop subs, except I added the spice post-fermentation via tea method.

Phew, glad the 12-12-12 was ok. I almost didn't participate in the swap this year cuz I didn't think my wee heavy was good enough, although I've never had another wee heavy to speak of...

Well now that's a lie. once I saw my packages were delivered, I tried one of the swap bottles. I'll get the review up soon.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #70
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-LT1 View Post
Hey Steph, thanks for the reviews, and for being honest! Yeah, barley wine, but maybe the bottle I sent you somehow got infected. I've been drinking one every few months, and while there's only some bitterness still remaining, I haven't had one I'd call sour. Was it clear? I'm having one right now, and it's crystal. Still hot though, it is 12% after all.

The pumpkin ale was basically Renoenvy's recipe with some hop subs, except I added the spice post-fermentation via tea method.
No, the Barleywine was a little murky. Maybe it was infected.

Found the recipe and put it into Beersmith. That's way better than the other recipe I've made (names omitted to protect good people). Also, Reno straight up says in his post that it tastes a lot like DFH - no wonder I loved it.

Quick Reply