New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Swap and Critique Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #51
Stephonovich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just popped one of JuanKenobi's 12-12-12 beers (I don't have to work this week - every day is a weekend!). I poured it into an, um, mug. Large, thick-walled glass with a handle. My apologies if I should have used a tulip, or something else.

My non BJCP-certified amateur opinions are as follows:

Appearance: Pours with a slight nut-brown head which very quickly dissipates, although it leaves a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Small amount of carbonation is seen bubbling up. It's more heavily carbonated than mine was, and I like it. Color is very rich and dark.

Aroma: Quite heavy fusty smell, rather like a mix between wet cardboard and very old dried fruit. I don't consider this to be bad or surprising, given the amount of aging.

Taste: The initial in-your-face wallop is black currants and raisins, with prunes following closely after. Hugely strong on the raisins. The backbone is all malt, strong and with good staying power. The heavier carbonation helps mask the cloying nature of the beer better than mine did. I detected no alcohol burn.

Overall: I quite like it. Very well balanced for the style, or at least as much as my limited tastes of Wee Heavies goes. I'll mention again, the higher carbonation level really helps it out. How many CO2 volumes did you aim for, Juan?

Kegged: Empty
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Hefeweizen, Session Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #52
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2598 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Smokinghole, is this your Naner? It's really delicous! What is the recipe?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #53
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Banana Stout
Foreign Extra Stout
Type: All Grain Date: 2/15/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 7.50 gal Brewer: Adam Cole
Boil Size: 8.97 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Penrose Kettle and 13gal Igloo Cooler
End of Boil Volume 8.22 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 7.20 gal Est Mash Efficiency 86.4 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 70.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.9 %
1 lbs CaraBrown (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
12.0 oz De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.4 %
8.0 oz Dark Crystal (165.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.9 %
4.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.5 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 24.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 12.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
7.50 lb Banana (weight with peels on) peeled and blended to pulp with black seal rum then added to secondary
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 13 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 %
Bitterness: 43.2 IBUs Calories: 234.1 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 33.1 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs
Sparge Water: 2.72 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 5.31 gal of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 2.98 gal of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 2.72 gal water at 168.0 F

If I were to do it again I'd up the mash temp a bit and maybe add some more body building oats because of the bananas and rum.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #54
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Trying out CrystallineEntity's 12-12-12 brew...

Appearance - Pours dark amber, with a decent head that stays around for a bit. The head was thicker overall than mine and JuanKenobi's, but it didn't maintain a ring around the edge of the glass like Juan's did. Lower carb level, I suppose.

Aroma - Raisins and dark currants (I see a trend...), with strawberries and maybe mango as it fades. Something pleasantly sweet, mild, and somewhat exotic, anyway.

Taste - Very boozy. Not sure if the 4 months difference in aging makes this much of a difference, but anyway, it's quite present. That's not a horrible thing, I think, just different. Other than that, raisins and molasses. There's a sharpness in the aftertaste that's different than carbonation, too. It hangs out at the back of your throat; not burning, but sharp, almost metallic.

Overall - Pretty hot overall, but alright flavor. I'm going to keep the other one for at least 4 months before I try it. I'm looking forward to seeing how other flavors come out when the alcohol isn't so overpowering.

Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Hefeweizen, Session Bitter

Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #55
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephonovich View Post
Just popped one of JuanKenobi's 12-12-12 beers (I don't have to work this week - every day is a weekend!). I poured it into an, um, mug. Large, thick-walled glass with a handle. My apologies if I should have used a tulip, or something else.

My non BJCP-certified amateur opinions are as follows:

Appearance: Pours with a slight nut-brown head which very quickly dissipates, although it leaves a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Small amount of carbonation is seen bubbling up. It's more heavily carbonated than mine was, and I like it. Color is very rich and dark.

Aroma: Quite heavy fusty smell, rather like a mix between wet cardboard and very old dried fruit. I don't consider this to be bad or surprising, given the amount of aging.

Taste: The initial in-your-face wallop is black currants and raisins, with prunes following closely after. Hugely strong on the raisins. The backbone is all malt, strong and with good staying power. The heavier carbonation helps mask the cloying nature of the beer better than mine did. I detected no alcohol burn.

Overall: I quite like it. Very well balanced for the style, or at least as much as my limited tastes of Wee Heavies goes. I'll mention again, the higher carbonation level really helps it out. How many CO2 volumes did you aim for, Juan?
I just checked my notes, and apparently I didn't do so well with note taking on bottling day. I'm pretty sure I targeted 2 volumes. I'm quite happy with the carbonation in this beer. I was afraid that I'd killed he EC-1118 I used for conditioning and it was going to stay flat, but it actually carbed up pretty fast. How did you find the cake? The bottles I've poured so far have had really compact cakes that didn't budge a bit which really surprised me.

Interesting to see the "well balanced" comment. I haven't tried anyone else's yet, but it seems like most of the recipes I've seen posted have been bittered more heavily than mine (EKG, 26 IBU, Tinseth).

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #56
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I also conditioned with EC-1118 and got a nice compact cake in my bottles.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #57
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanKenobi View Post
I just checked my notes, and apparently I didn't do so well with note taking on bottling day. I'm pretty sure I targeted 2 volumes. I'm quite happy with the carbonation in this beer. I was afraid that I'd killed he EC-1118 I used for conditioning and it was going to stay flat, but it actually carbed up pretty fast. How did you find the cake? The bottles I've poured so far have had really compact cakes that didn't budge a bit which really surprised me.

Interesting to see the "well balanced" comment. I haven't tried anyone else's yet, but it seems like most of the recipes I've seen posted have been bittered more heavily than mine (EKG, 26 IBU, Tinseth).
The cake was fine. I too used EC-1118, although in retrospect, not enough of it. I was deathly afraid of having bottle bombs of this beer with so much effort put into it.

Beersmith puts my IBUs at 24 (Tinseth), FYI. *shrug* I'm sure there's actual differences in the brewing process that the program can't pick up on, and carb level definitely has a huge effect on perceived taste. I have never had a Wee Heavy of any kind that was overly bitter, just saying. It's not proper for the style at all.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #58
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

So, apparently one of my packages got lost, since it hasn't been delivered and it's been 3 weeks. I didn't save the receipt (dumb, I know that now). Can UPS track a shipment just based on my name and/or email address? Should I go to the store and ask them where it is, or is it a lost cause?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #59
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell
So, apparently one of my packages got lost, since it hasn't been delivered and it's been 3 weeks. I didn't save the receipt (dumb, I know that now). Can UPS track a shipment just based on my name and/or email address? Should I go to the store and ask them where it is, or is it a lost cause?
Yeah just go to the store and they will have you on record. So do you have the tracking number? You can usually find the status based on that. But either way the store will have you.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #60
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cromwell, hopefully you aren't referring to me. I'm not sure I ever told you I got yours, but I did. Just haven't had a chance to try the 12-12-12 yet.

FWIW, I did really enjoy the T.B.A. Do you know how old that was, btw?

Quick Reply