Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Swap and Critique Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
Stephonovich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
This beer could easily use another year in my opinion.. I think I am going to take what I have left of it and stick it in my parents basement till next winter.
That's what my neighbor told me (also a home brewer). I still have about a case left, I think, so I'll try letting them sit. I'll make sure to take detailed tasting notes so I can see how much it changes, too.
Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Got my second Care Package today from Xeerohour. Very nice and all bottles survived the journey. Thank you!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #43
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

I drank the "Curiosity" IPA last night. It was awesome! Almost filtered clarity, low alcohol, with a big fat hoppy punch. If it was mine I would have called it Mighty Midget IPA. Anyone else who got one of these consider yourself lucky.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #44
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Who gave me this Tröegs Impending Descent? Good gods man, but that's an RIS. I wish I had known what I had and I would have saved it for a later day. It is definitely in my top 3 RIS's, and maybe in my top ten overall. I've only had Mad Elf from Tröegs and I don't care for it. This is remarkable. Unfortunately I see it's a one off.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #45
CrystallineEntity
cosmozoan life-form
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 840 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Alrighty then! Here we go.

I'm sampling xeerohour's 12-12-12. Please excuse my lack of critiquing skill.

A: Poured into a snifter with a little bit of beige head forming. It quickly dissipated, but hung around the edge of the glass until I was about half way done. The color was opaque with ruby highlights around the edges.

S: Aroma was sweet, malty and I could detect a little hint of the oak barrel. I could also smell the alcohol a bit.

T: The first thing I noticed was a malty/raisiny sweetness, but it is more complex than that. The sweetness is like a combo of raisin, apple and berries in a fruit roll up. Oak is also present and I could taste the alcohol a little. There may be some oxidation and smokiness as well, but I'm not sure if I'm describing them properly.

M: The beer is medium/ full in body. The low carbonation was perfect. I wouldn't call it chewy, but I found myself smacking my lips trying to enjoy the taste it left after swallowing. I could feel the alcohol a bit on the back of my throat

O: I thought it was deee-licious and liked yours better than my version. I liked yours better than some commercial offerings I've had. Great job and thanks for swapping with me.

I fit right in with the people I admire most - David Yow

http://smokenator.com/

Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #46
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Who gave me this Tröegs Impending Descent? Good gods man, but that's an RIS. I wish I had known what I had and I would have saved it for a later day. It is definitely in my top 3 RIS's, and maybe in my top ten overall. I've only had Mad Elf from Tröegs and I don't care for it. This is remarkable. Unfortunately I see it's a one off.
I sent that. Sorry I didn't think to warn you it was a RIS. I really liked the bottle I drank.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #47
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole

I sent that. Sorry I didn't think to warn you it was a RIS. I really liked the bottle I drank.
It didn't give much information on the bottle, but it was obvious what it was when poured. That's a damn fine beer. Better than WWS, but similar in some ways too. I had planned on having some beers after that, but it was so intense it became the only beer I drank last night.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #48
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wanted to let CrystallineEntity know that your package arrived.

I feel badly because I haven't tried anyone else's 12-12-12; every time I've been home and able to consume a 10%+ ABV beer I didn't feel like chewing it

That being said, I just cracked open AleSmith's Horny Devil which was also in the box. Mein gott, this stuff is good. Like, amazing. I hope they sell it somewhere around SC/NC (moving shortly).

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #49
CA-LT1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Many apologies to Stephonovich, JuanKenobi, and Smokinghole. It's been a crazy month at work, and I haven't gotten your packages shipped. Just today I boxed everything up, printed off shipping labels, and will take them to the UPS store if they're open tomorrow, or Wednesday if not.

In the box you will receive:
2xWee Heavy. M.O. with 4 oz Black. 1.094 OG 9.7%
1x 20 month old barleywine. 12%
1x pumpkin ale 7%

And one other, but I think you'll know what it is when you see it. I hope it's something rare/special for you, it's hard enough for me to find it, and I live in Nor-Cal!

Again, I'm sorry it's so late

Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #50
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts

Alright I got bottlebomber's package on Monday. I think you sent me two IRAs and an ESB and one 12-12-12 but that's fine, no problem, and no need to spend more on shipping.

Okay here's my first review. Xeerohour's 12-12-12

Appearance: It poured very thick and with a murky sort of haze (as expected with a beer of this malt content). The beer had no foam/head to speak of just like mine, it doesn't matter how vigorous you pour.

Aroma: It has a nose of raisins, brown sugar, very malty and has a nose of alcohol.

Taste: Extremely malty with a strong raisin and dark sugar flavor. The alcohol level makes it almost winey like a port minus the tannin presence. There's a slight smokiness that reminds me from using small amounts of smoked malt in a beer. Just enough to not be obvious but the level leaves a hint of smoke for you to taste if you're paying attention. As it warmed up the flavors developed into caramelized stone fruits like grilled plums or something. The malt is so intense in these beers that it might make someone think there is a diacetyl issue, but it's just intense malt flavor. The only fault I could pick out was a slight astringency or bitterness (which could have been hop bitterness shining through) while I was drinking it. That could have been my issue because I had been drinking a low gravity dry stout all day that was made with just base malt, black malt, and brown malt. So I could have already screwed myself up a little bit for tasting this beer.

Overall: I think this beer tastes very similar to my rendition. I think a long time at cold temps would have helped to remove any haze that this beer ended up having. Very good and thick fortifying beer. I can't wait to get into the others.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply