Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #21
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of holiday spice beers, but I'm willing to try anything once. Between the wife and I, we'll drink it down.
I'll be sending along some strong scotch ales I brewed a year+ ago as well as some chocolate rye porter or english pale. We'll see how motivated I get.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 AM   #22
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

If you are receiving my beer it should arrive by Tuesday. Please let me know if it does not. I stand behind the product shipped, but I do apologize for the lackluster bottles w. frayed labels. I just do not care about what the bottle looks like right now. Anyways, here is a description and decoder of my beers:

Devil May Cry 10/10/10
O.G. 1.095
F.G. 1.090
Color: 8.3 SRM
IBU: 45
ABV: 11.7%

I used 1# each of wheat and munich and #3 table sugar fed over 3 days. The Wyeast 3739 is really, really nice; I only wish I had banked some. If you would like to avoid yeast sediment with this beer please chill and decant.

4-Grain Wee Heavy

O.G. 1.101
F.G. 1.028
Color: 20 SRM
IBU: 28
ABV: 10%

Please enjoy this beer. I made this beer with 30 #s of Golden Promise. I did two separate 5 gl. mashes and boiled portions of each batch ~3 hrs to get some kettle caramelization. After a short primary fermentation, I racked each carboy into a bourbon barrel (e.g. a fresh, "Hudson 4-Grain Bourbon" barrel from Tuthilltown Spirits). This Wee Heavy spent 1 month in the Bourbon barrel and has now aged in bottle for ~4 months. It will likely get better with more age.

SMaSHed Imperial Pils

O.G. 1.081
F.G. 1.018
Color: 5.2 SRM
IBU: 70
ABV: 8.5%

Single Malt, Single Hop; somewhat a clone of Rogue's Imp Pils.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #23
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Alright, all of my packages are going in the mail tomorrow. Everyone should get them in a couple/few days. Here's the key to the secret codes on the caps!

10-10-10 Self-explanatory! Mine came out to like 13-14% ABV so it packs a punch. Fermented with the flanders golden ale strain and I used a homemade light belgian candi syrup in place of the white sugar.

HSA Holiday Spiced Ale. Brewed in the belgian dark strong style with spices, rum and oak. Kind of like a liquid rum cake. Very smooth, rich, and decadent. You might want to save this one for a cold night.

HS Herbed Saison. Saison with the addition of fresh-picked herbs from the backyard added at flameout. One sprig each of rosemary, sage and lavender. Crisp, refreshing, lightly perfumed, it will make you think you're enjoying a local farmhouse ale in some meadow in France with wildflowers in bloom on a sunny spring day!

PA Pumpkin Ale. My http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samh...in-ale-140674/ recipe. If you like pumpkin ales you'll LOVE this beer.

W12 Westvleteren 12 clone. Brewed simply with only belgian pilsner and pale malts, and homemade dark candi syrup. Decocted for complexity. It scored better than the real thing in the Westy 12 competition.

RIS Russian Imperial Stout. It's this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/hear...ss-ris-196161/ . I brewed it in conjunction with NCBeernut and we split the wort. He fermented his with WY1028 and I used Thames Valley II. While his is drinking very good right now, this one still needs some time. It is a big, BIG stout, not in alcohol, but it flavor and complexity. You would really do well to leave this one somewhere for a while before opening, because those flavors are still overwhelming at this point. This beer is "meaty"! But I think it will drink very well at some point in the future. I'm hoping so anyway!

So that's the secret decoder. I hope everyone likes them. Please post feedback on them! I'd appreciate it if you were completely blunt, honest and critical. I'm always trying to improve.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #24
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

My stuff should be going out today. IBUs are just per my calculations (Tinseth).

DMC - Devil May Cry - OG=1.100, FG=1.004; 50 IBU
VL - Vienna Lager - OG=1.051, FG=1.014; 22 IBU
HL - Hartford Lager (American Amber Lager) - OG=1.054, FG=1.013; 27 IBU
SSA - Strong Scotch Ale (Wee Heavy) - OG=1.077, FG=1.023, 26 IBU; 22 oz bottle

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #25
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Got the package today Hookstrat, all intact. Forget something above? I got a corked and caged bottle, Belgian Dark Strong with cherries?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oops. Looks like my boxes got mixed up. I intended to send that one to Brian because it sounded like he might enjoy that style more.

Anyways, that is a 11% Belgian Dark Strong finished w. Brett B. and then aged in a Bourbon barrel with 9#s of sour cherries. Enjoy!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #27
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep, I got the package today with the 4 grain wee heavy and imp. pils. I'm sure it will still be awesome but I was really looking forward to that brett and cherry, barrel aged dark strong!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #28
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hookstrat, got your shipment today. All's well that arrived well.
My bottles are going out tomorrow since I don't have to be in to work until 2 (damn presidential visit).

I'll be sending: 2 EZ cap bottles (22 oz) of 101010, so that'll be easy to spot. 13.14% ABV fermented with Wy3711, the French Saison yeast. I recommend saving one for another year if you can, I have no doubt it will improve immensely.

2 12oz bottles of Chocolate Rye Porter (CRP - gold caps). This is a new recipe and I just bottled them this weekend, so I'd give them a few weeks to carbonate. It was aged in a secondary for 3 months, so it should be good to go once the Co2 is there. This isn't designated as crap beer because I haven't tried it yet and am hoping it's not as such. I would very much like opinions and suggestions however. 5.34% ABV, although my OG came out way lower than I targeted (1.054 instead of 1.063) because of a bad crush (my mill sucks).

2 12oz bottles of a Wee Heavy (red caps). Brewed 2/28/09, bottled on 04/07/09 this has really come together nicely. 8.25% ABV, A malty, dry, somewhat roasted aroma with a sweet back note. Color is a deep red, nearly brown, and very muddy. Under carbonated but drinks quite nicely. A slightly roasted, caramelized flavor. Goes down very easily. Another bottle you might want to consider putting aside for another year.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #29
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Yep, I got the package today with the 4 grain wee heavy and imp. pils. I'm sure it will still be awesome but I was really looking forward to that brett and cherry, barrel aged dark strong!
Sorry about that Brian. All I can say is that I guess we'll have to do another swap!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Kinda wish I'd have waited just one more day to ship, then I could've sent Brian the BDSA along with the rest. I'm still open to try and resolve it. I haven't had very many sour beers but haven't liked any of them (and that's being kind). Also not a fruit-beer lover either. Maybe this beer will change that but I hate to see it wasted on somebody who can't appreciate it.

Quick Reply