Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #141
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Gumbo! I'll have to look for that the next time I try it!

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the HSA (Holiday Spiced Ale) I sent just took first place in the Belgian Specialty Ale category with an average score of 44.5 in the Piedmont Brewer's Cup. Enjoy!
Sweet!

Just an FYI, I haven't forgotten about your beers! I feel like I've barely had a spare moment between the wedding, the fire in my parents house, the flood in my apartment (and the subsequent move), work, and the upcoming honeymoon! I promise things will settle down in December and I'll get a few spare moments to properly review your beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #142
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Gumbo! I'll have to look for that the next time I try it!

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the HSA (Holiday Spiced Ale) I sent just took first place in the Belgian Specialty Ale category with an average score of 44.5 in the Piedmont Brewer's Cup. Enjoy!
Congrats! The Vienna Lager I sent just won gold in the Sunshine Challenge this past weekend (out of just under 600 entries). It actually didn't score that great at only 38 but it was good enough I guess. I was in the room during BOS and it got down to the final 7 or 8 then it got booted.

At Belgian Night of the competition I actually tried the first sour I liked, Rodenbach Flemish (not the Grand Cru although I tried that as well, that one was too sour for me). So I think I'm ready to try Hookstrat's sour with cherries (it was Hookstrat's right?).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #143
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Congrats! The Vienna Lager I sent just won gold in the Sunshine Challenge this past weekend (out of just under 600 entries). It actually didn't score that great at only 38 but it was good enough I guess. I was in the room during BOS and it got down to the final 7 or 8 then it got booted.

At Belgian Night of the competition I actually tried the first sour I liked, Rodenbach Flemish (not the Grand Cru although I tried that as well, that one was too sour for me). So I think I'm ready to try Hookstrat's sour with cherries (it was Hookstrat's right?).

Yea, that's my Belgian Dark Strong! All the sourness comes from the cherries though, with some funk provided by Brettanomyces in secondary.

Here's another brew review,

KingBrian's Holiday Spiced Ale:

Aroma: Caramelized raisins. Fruity Belgian yeast. Malt and candi hide the alcohol. Excellent.

Appearance: Deep, dark amber. Pours a nice head but dissipates quickly. Could use a little more carbonation, but it's fine.

Flavor: The spices and hop flavors really compliment each other nicely. Love the lingering burnt caramel finish. Quite a full-flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Dry. Medium bodied. Maybe not as full-bodied as I expected.

Overall: I like this beer. It's a hearty, winter beer perfect for a cold night. It goes down easy and leaves a little burn in your throat. I'm pretty sure this beer will kick your ass too.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #144
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcculus View Post
i promise things will settle down in december and i'll get a few spare moments to properly review your beers.
o rly?

:d

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #145
Edcculus
Recipes 

ha, I guess not. My biggest problem is that I work 2nd shift and don't get home until 11:30 to 12:00 and pretty much go straight to bed. That leaves weekends, but who really has time to do anything on the weekend?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #146
Edcculus
Recipes 

King Brian's Westvleteren 12 clone

Aroma: complex strong caramelized and burnt sugar sugar and stone fruit. Slightly spicy. Some alcohol present, but not hot. No hop aroma to really speak of

Appearance: Deep brown with ruby highlights. Light white head that dissipates quickly. Very clear.

Flavor: Very complex maltiness layered with dark caramelized sugar flavors. Some plumb and dark sweet cherry flavors coming through in the aftertaste. Low bitterness. Alcohol is warming, but not hot. Strong spiciness from the yeast. Incredibly complexity of flavor with everything blending quite nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Full creamy mouthfeel. Fairly strong alcohol warmth.

Overall:
What a great beer! No flaws that I can detect. Very tasty strong beer without being too overpowering or unapproachable. I would have a lot of fun pairing this beer with food. I think it would be awesome with a crispy duck served with a plum wine reduction. Thanks for sharing this one!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #147
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
o rly?

:d
When should I pop that RIS Brian? I think that's all I have left to review.

p.s. I'm drinking the last of the 10/10/10 you shipped me right now. It's tastes like a really great Belgian GSA...with about two shots of Vodka dropped in for show!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #148
KingBrianI
Recipes 

I had one of the RISs a couple weeks ago and it starts really nice, but I'm still not crazy about the finish. It's got a savory note I don't really care for. It's much reduced from where it started, but I don't know if it will ever go away. So if you want to drink it go ahead. It's not bad and it seems like some people like it. It may continue to get better but it may be as good as it's going to get right now.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #149
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Haven't been to this thread in a long time. I'm sitting down to Brian's Westvleteren 12 clone.

Aroma: Very complex, and very sweet. Intense notes of plumb, other dark fruits, and burnt sugars. I didn't know what which bottle I was grabbing or what to expect, and this was a very pleasant surprise. It's extremely inviting. I'm expecting some serious mouth resin.

Appearance: A dark, muddy ruby-brown. No head.

Flavor: lives up to the nose hype. Lots of complex fruits, and a rather strong burnt sugar flavor. I'm getting a lot of berries in this, too. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Not what I was expecting at all. Very bubbly and light. I was sure I would get a coated mouth full of sugar, but that is not the case at all. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect for me. I hate sticky mouth and this has none.

Overall: I am very impressed. I am not a fan of trappist ales, or anything that tends to be overtly sweet. This has a nice warmth to it, but not that of alcohol heat. It just makes me feel all nice and cozy. I'd love to see this beer in a corked bottle.
Great job.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #150
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the review!!

Quick Reply