Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #131
Hookstrat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tasting notes

I'm not finished with the 10-10-10s yet. Here's my review of Brian's Pumpkin Ale though:

I opened this beer thinking that 'PA' stood for Pale Ale. It wasn't until I looked backed at your post that I remembered you had sent a Pumpkin Ale! Good job on this one Brian!

Tasting Notes:

Aroma: Grassy hop aroma, follow by a little bready, yeast aroma. I think the Pumpkin spice might be adding something as well.

Appearance: Huge creamy head, but overcarbed. Clear, copper finish. Looks great once the foam subsides.

Flavor: Tastes like a honey brown with a hint of rich pumpkin flavor. It's delicious.

Mouthfeel: Quite full-bodied. More mouthfeel than expected and it is quite welcome.

Overall: Easy drinking, but flavorful. I could probably put down a few more of these.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #132
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice, Samhain Pumpkin Ale review on Samhain! Glad you liked it!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #133
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookstrat View Post
That's awesome. I hope it turns out well for you. It was definitely the longest brew I've ever had. Are you going to do any oak or bourbon flavor?
No oak/bourbon. My FFT finished at 1.026 (OG was 1.098) and I was hoping for a higher FG (like in the 1.032-1.034 range). I hope it's 'thick' enough.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #134
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

KingBrian's Westvleteren 12 clone:

Aroma: Caramelized stone fruit, raisin liqueur. Big, burnt jammy nose. Hint of spicy Belgian yeast. A touch of alcohol smell comes through later, but it's hidden extremely well by the malt aroma. I spent about 10 min just smelling this thing.

Appearance: Carbonated perfectly to style with a lasting ring around my Westmalle (oops) chalice. Dark, nearly impenetrable amber color. I decanted a good amount of yeast sediment so beer is not hazy. It just looks chewy!

Flavor: Oddly, my first thought was bubblegum soda! There's a Juicy Fruit front to this beer that really starts everything out on the right foot. The pleasure is then followed by a little pain, with a back-end blend of oak (?), bitter and alcohol. It's one of those perfectly balanced beers where every drink is a little battle in your mouth between good and evil. You might get a hint of overpowering alcohol strength, but it's instantly smoothed by the burnt raisin finish.

Mouthfeel: It's like a drinking a Riesen chewy chocolate milkshake, except that the beer is dry enough that you could drink many.

Overall: This beer is fantastic. It's in the top 5 homebrews I've ever had. It's so hard to achieve that balance between big and smooth that makes a dangerously drinkable beer. I've never had the real deal but in this case it really doesn't ****ing matter.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #135
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Wow, awesome. Thanks for the great review Hookstrat! I'm glad you liked it!

Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #136
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, I finally mustered the courage for a head-to-head-to-head 10/10/10 challenge. As per KingBrian I'm not holding back on the reviews, so please don't take offense to any comments. I'd love to swap beer with any of you guys again in the future!

Eddculus' 10/10/10

Aroma: Very prominent yeast smell but not so much from fruity esters. Very bready. Some hot alcohol smell. Low malt aroma, no hop. No off smell.

Appearance: Golden brown. Low, but lingering carbonation.

Flavor: Very hot. There is a solid Belgian strong in here somewhere but everything is off balance with so much rocket fuel! I can detect a good amount of spicy character.

Mouthfeel: More carbonation would help make it more crisp. Hard to overcome the burning sensation.

Overall: It's like doing a Belgian Triple Sake bomb. If I make the recipe again I will shoot for at least 1% less ABV, I might suggest at least 2% less ABV for your recipe!! Note that I think the main problem with the beer is just the recipe, not technique.

SpanishCastleAle's 10/10/10

Aroma: Nice fruity esters. Apple cider and banana. Not bready like the other two. Smooth, sweet malt. I can tell it's a big beer (smell the alcohol), but there's plenty going on to hide it.

Appearance: Truly golden. Clean and clear. Could use more carbonation but still quite nice. Lasting ring of bubbles, but no effervescence.

Flavor: So much better balanced than any of the others including my own version. Malty, smooth bitterness, lingering spice. And the spice in this one has a depth and complexity not found in the others. There's also a softness to this one that's just interrupted at the last moment by a reminder that this beer is big. Quite tasty!

Mouthfeel: Enough carb to be mouthfilling, but dry enough to down cleanly. Would be perfect with more carb.

Overall: Easily my favorite of the 10/10/10s (including my own version). There's a sweet/spicy combo to this beer that is really quite delicious. It's still too big for me though!

KingBrianI's 10/10/10

Aroma: Very spicy. A little bready. Caramel malt comes through. Then the spice fades and I get some of those subtle fruity esters. Mostly pear. Alcohol smell comes through as well. No hop aroma or off smells.

Appearance: Golden in color, but probably a little too dark for style (like my version). Fairly clean. Best carbed of the bunch, but probably could have gone even higher.

Flavor: Wish it wasn't so boozy. Nice spice and good malt flavor. Quite dry and bitter. To be honest I think my beer was right on the edge of too much alcohol and this one might be right over the edge. I also picked up some butterscotch finish (light diacetyl?).

Mouthfeel: Again, too hot/astringent. But otherwise pretty good. Nice dry, crisp finish.

Overall: Not much else to say here, this thing is a beast. I would love to taste all of that flavor without all of the ethanol!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #137
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I just tried a Tripel I brewed about a year and a half ago and it had some sweetness in the beginning but now it's reasonably dry. It has improved greatly since I bottled it. I'm gonna put these beers away and see what they are like in another year or so. Might help the carb a little too.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #138
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I just tried a Tripel I brewed about a year and a half ago and it had some sweetness in the beginning but now it's reasonably dry. It has improved greatly since I bottled it. I'm gonna put these beers away and see what they are like in another year or so. Might help the carb a little too.

Definitely with you on that. I brewed my 10/10/10 on 9/10/09. It really improved with age.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #139
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, once again I forgot the decoder and grabbed a beer from fridge. Here are my "blind tasting" notes from KingBrian's Herbed Saison...

King Brian's "Herbed Saison"

Aroma: Hay, grass, pilsner malt, pungent noble hops, minerals

Appearance: dark straw with a big pluffy cloud of cream on top

Flavor: I don't know how else to put this, but it kind of reminds me of my favorite bowl of gumbo. Spicy, sweet, minerally. That might not sound good to you, but it's really nice!

Mouthfeel: Tingly upfront then smoothing and creamy, finshed with lingering bitter grassiness...

Overall: After writing the previous notes I looked up the decoder. Kind of surprised to find out that this is a Saison, I was thinking some type of lager! Tasty beer nonetheless, and more importantly interesting on the palate!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #140
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Gumbo! I'll have to look for that the next time I try it!

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the HSA (Holiday Spiced Ale) I sent just took first place in the Belgian Specialty Ale category with an average score of 44.5 in the Piedmont Brewer's Cup. Enjoy!

Quick Reply