Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #121
Hookstrat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

4-grain Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy

Wort Volume Before Boil: 5.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 3.25 US gals
Volume Transferred: 3.25
US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 3.25 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 3.25 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.079 SG
Expected OG: 1.101 SG
Expected FG: 1.028 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 71.0 %
Expected ABV: 10.0 %
Expected ABW: 7.7 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 28.3 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 20.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.28
Mash Efficiency: 67.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables

UK Golden's Promise 15.00 lb
UK Roasted Barley 0.20 lb *see notes

Hops

UK Golding 5.5 % 1.00 oz @ 40'
UK Golding 5.5 % 0.50 oz @ 25'

Yeast

Wyeast 1728-Scottish Ale

Notes:

I bought 30 lbs. of grain and brewed this recipe twice on the same day in an attempt to fill a used Tuthilltown distillery 7 gl. bourbon barrel.

mashed @ 154F for 60' (hit 153F the first time and 154F the second time)

I boiled ~2 gallons of the first runnings for ~2 hours each until it reduced down to ~0.5 gallons and got some good caramelization (might start with less volume next time)

I did not add any Roasted Barley until the batch sparging of the second batch. Then I just added it and waited ~10 min. mainly just for color

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 days @ 60F

Then moved to 65F for 8 days
Then racked into bourbon barrel, gravity was at 1.030 and it tasted really good.

Aged 22 days @ 60F in my basement

Bottled with corn sugar (~125g) and dry champagne yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #122
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had a long, sh!tty day and I am so ready to get my 101010 on.

KingBrian's 10-10-10

Aroma - Fruity, very slight alcohol nose, some spicy clove-like characteristic. But just a lovely over all bouquet. As it warms up a bit it brings along that nice pils aroma with it that just makes this even more inviting.
8/12

Appearance - Huge fluffy white head that fizzles down slowly and leaves and nice crown throughout. Opaque, hazy, golden wheat coloring on the edges, darker in the middle.
2/3

Flavor - This has quite a burn to it. I'm finding it hard to get much else through that heat. Some slight hints of fruit.
8/20

Mouthfeel - Crisp. It's nice and light and goes down easy but still leaves a bubbly sensation in my mouth. Spot on carbonation.
4/5

Overall - I'm having a very hard time getting past the alcohol heat. It's very overwhelming and makes it hard to focus my attention on any other aspects of this brew. I wish I had something more constructive to say but that's really all I can gather from this one. Not even sure how one would fix that. Love the aroma though, it's very inviting and complex.
5/10

Total: 27/50

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #123
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Haha, I warned you! It definitely could use another year (or two!) for that alcohol to mellow even more. I think it ended up at 14.5% or something. I don't find it having a burn so much as just lots of warmth, but I can see how if you didn't like that kind of strength it would be hard to get past. Glad you enjoyed the aroma though!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #124
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Alright jackson, just popped a CRP in the fridge to start cooling down. We'll see what it's all about later this afternoon!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #125
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's about oxidation. I've noticed a trend in my last few brews and finally replaced my siphon which I believe to have been the culprit.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #126
KingBrianI
Recipes 

jacksonbrown's Chocolate Rye Porter

Aroma - Roasty malts and cold coffee, fruity ethanol, possibly a hint of orange. Aroma is fleeting, skittish. Hard to lock on to.

Appearance - Poured an opaque black with chocolate brown around the edges. A <1 finger head popped up but dissipated immediately.

Flavor - Very light malty flavor upfront. Followed by nice a roastiness and and firm bitterness on the palate. Bitterness from the hops and dark malt lingers for a while. I think I'm detecting the rye right in the finish as a slight spiciness. I'm getting a little oxidation coming through. Possibly getting the slightest bit of cocoa right on the end.

Mouthfeel - Thin of body, with a moderate carbonation that really gets prickly during the swallow.

Overall - A bit too thin and lacking in flavor. I'm kind of looking for the other half of the beer. It seems like part of it got separated from what's in my glass. I get the roastiness and bitterness but there's no depth to it. I expected some richness from caramel, malt and chocolate flavors that didn't show up. I'd really like to see the recipe to try to figure out what happened. If I were brewing this one again, I would mash higher and use a yeast that leaves more malty flavor (it tastes like you used nottingham?). Also, up the caramel malts to help fill out the flavor. The roastiness will probably be spot on if the other flavors get filled out to help play a supporting role. You might also want to use maris otter for the base malt for a bit more flavor and think about adding some munich, amber, or brown malts to deepen the malt profile. I'd also lose the rye. It's not really adding anything to this beer. This is not a bad beer at all though. I just wanted much more from it. I'll let the other bottle condition for a few more months then try it again to see if it has changed at all.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #127
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
It's about oxidation. I've noticed a trend in my last few brews and finally replaced my siphon which I believe to have been the culprit.
Yeah, I did pick up on some oxidation. I have the worst luck with autosiphons. Every one of them will always suck air through the gasket between the inner and outer tube. I have to pour a little of the beer into the outer tube every time so that it gets sucked in instead of air. Otherwise I get a constant stream of bubbles flying through.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #128
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Close call on the Nottingham, it's US-05 which is pretty much the same thing. Yeah, this one had some issues throughout. I was going for a 1.063 SG and ended up with 1.054 due to a bad crush. I did a step mash with a Saccrification at 156, but it ended up coming to a rest at 151. So I think the combination of those two mistakes make it thinner and fell more hop balanced than I was intending.
It was a first go and I definitely intend to try it again with some improvements. My biggest regret is the lack of chocolate nose. It was there big time during fermentation and the couple weeks after, but just dissapeated at some point.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #129
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Thanks for the recipe Hookstrat, man that was a LOT of boiling and I'm still not sure I went long enough. I had 3 boils going: I boiled the first 2 gal runnings for 2 hours and also took the last 2 gal runnings and then added 3# light DME and boiled that (separately) for 1.5 hours while the 'main' boil went for 1.25 hours, then combined them all for the last 45 minutes. I also subbed 1 lb of Honey malt for 1 lb of the Pale Ale malt.

I gave up on auto-siphons pretty quickly. I just find a plain ole SS racking cane simple/easy enough and I was always a bit worried about the auto-siphon becoming contaminated-beyond-simple-sanitizing.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #130
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post

Thanks for the recipe Hookstrat, man that was a LOT of boiling and I'm still not sure I went long enough. I had 3 boils going: I boiled the first 2 gal runnings for 2 hours and also took the last 2 gal runnings and then added 3# light DME and boiled that (separately) for 1.5 hours while the 'main' boil went for 1.25 hours, then combined them all for the last 45 minutes. I also subbed 1 lb of Honey malt for 1 lb of the Pale Ale malt.
That's awesome. I hope it turns out well for you. It was definitely the longest brew I've ever had. Are you going to do any oak or bourbon flavor?

Quick Reply