Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > 10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #101
NCBeernut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Grandmaster?
That's right. No arguing with the Grandmaster....

No that was a joke.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #102
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBeernut View Post
That's right. No arguing with the Grandmaster....

No that was a joke.
I suspected but didn't want to offend just in case.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #103
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Soooooo...how you guys feeling this morning?
Woke up a bit thirsty in the middle of the night but other than that fine. I was actually really surprised by how quickly those beers started taking effect though. They're potent!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #104
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I have reviews hand written of Ed's RyePA and Hookstrat's 10/10/10 but I keep forgetting to post them (they were both good though). I hope to drink/review another tonight and hopefully post all 3.
Yo sca! Where those reviews you keep threatening to post?!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #105
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Dammit I was hoping I'd get to skate one more day. I really hope I don't forget again tonight.

I pulled JB's CRP out of the fridge, I hope it somehow carbs up but I'm gonna give it a while. I haven't chilled Ed's 10/10/10 because I thought it was the one that wasn't carbed yet but I'll pop 'em in the fridge tonight. And then there's the sour BDSA with cherries, I'm a leetle skeered of that one.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #106
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
And then there's the sour BDSA with cherries, I'm a leetle skeered of that one.
KingBrianI told me about that one...feel free to ship that over to me and I will take care of it for you.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #107
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

jacksonbrown's Strong Scotch Ale:

Aroma: Malt/caramel with intense toffee and an almost soy sauce-ish aroma. As it warms the soy sauce increases. I recently had my first Spaten Optimator and it also had the soy sauce aroma as it warmed (best word I can think of to describe it). No hop aroma.

Appearance: Deep copper with lots of red, hazy. Poured with moderate head that quickly dissipated completely.

Flavor: Caramel, malt, and toffee. Some malty sweetness but not as sweet as most SSAs. No bitterness or hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation. Seems low on body and high on carb for a SSA but in an absolute sense not thin or overcarbed.

Overall: A decent beer just a little different than a standard issue SSA. I also sent out a SSA and while mine is different from yours, I missed the mark in some of the same ways. It's an extreme style that tests our intuitions. I still enjoyed it though.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #108
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Edcculus' RIPA:

Aroma: Sweet light citrus aroma. Very light malt and caramel. I really like the sweet/citrus just want moar.

Appearance: Hazy deep copper. Poured a smallish head that dopped to a thin ring.

Flavor: Slightly sweet malt at first followed by citrus hop flavor. Medium-lowish bitterness that somehow lingers along with the citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation. Smooth with some silkiness.

Overall: I really enjoyed it just want more aroma (it's so nice!). I like the silkiness of the rye.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #109
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Hookstrat's 10/10/10:

Aroma: Deep, sweet malt with a slight catty aroma. Low yeasty esters and phenolics.

Appearance: Light amber, poured with good head that persisted well. Hazy.

Flavor: Malty sweetness with light caramel. Not overly sweet or cloying nor too hot. Some light bitterness lingers. Some alcohol warmth but hides the alcohol well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and good carbonation. Slightly creamy, smooth.

Overall: I liked it other than the catty aroma. I may be overly sensitive to that, I've got it in some wines and I seem to just zero in on it. Mouthfeel, flavor, and carb were all very good.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #110
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

For those of you that got my packages, the CRP is carb'd but still needs time to improve. Or it is just is what it is. Like I said this was experimental. I poped one open a couple nights ago and I got the impression of oxidation. I did mark in my notes that there was some syphoning issues, so that could be it. Here's what I wrote the other night:
"Slight tan head, some bubbles clinging to the glass. This is just straight up black. A bit of a cardboard aroma comes through notes of chocolate and dark malts. The first thing I taste is that cardboard - oxydation. behind it is nothing discernatble. Some bitterness lingers on the back. Body is terribly thin."
So not too promising, for which I apologize. I feel like I failed on this swap because none of these beers are indicative of what I normally brew they were just what I had available in bottles. And it was my first attempt at a huge beer (101010), which was a good learning experience. Sorry guys.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Quick Reply