The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > zesting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
musclebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default zesting question

I plan on zesting some fruit in my american wheat kit.At what point do you add this in and for how long,how much do you add,i would like to use either tangerines or oranges.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I would add it after primary fermentation to try to retain as much flavor from it as possible. As to how much I think it would all depend in your personal preference and style if beer your spicing. So I can't help much on amount. I'm sure somebody else who's more experienced with zesting their beer can fill in the blanks.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Knecht_Rupprecht
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I generally see folks recommend around 2 tablespoons. I made an orange pale and added zest from two average tangerines and it was great.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For orange zest, bitter, aka sour orange is usually recommended. I've put the zest of two bitter oranges in a 5 gallon batch of a strong beer with some residual sweetness and it was orangey enough that I don't think I'd ever add more than that. On a couple of occasions I've added the zest of two (Persian) limes. Those came out well balanced, with a hint of lime flavor/aroma.

When I add zest I put the zest in a hop bag, put that bag in a small jar and just cover it with vodka. Leave that to steep for a few days and add the zest and the vodka to my beer a week before bottling.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Quick Reply