The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Are You Filtering Water for Extract Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Bassman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are You Filtering Water for Extract Brewing

I posted a question related to my Pur water filter in another forum but after posting it I realized what the real question is.

I am doing extract with specialty grain brewing. I live in New York City. How important is filtering your water for extract brewing? If you are filtering, what do you use? Do you boil your top-off water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a number of gallon jugs that I fill with PUR filtered tap water.

I place 4 of them in the deep freezer about 4-5 hours prior to brewing and use it for top off water. I do not boil it. I've been using this technique since 1994.

I've been doing mostly partial mashes this year and still put water in the freezer even though I have a wort chiller.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I filter mine, but I have a well and don't like the taste. If you're concerned about chlorine you can always do a full boil.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
cabledawg
Recipes 

I have used a PUR filter also and it works pretty good. The county has been working on expanding the water service so for the las month or so the water has not tasted the same. I switched to distilled water for my extract brews just to try it out. According to a brew cast I heard, it stated LME/DME already has minerals from the water that was boiled off while it was made. I will see in two weeks if using distilled water makes a difference in my extract brews. When the county stops screwing with the water chemicals because of the expansion I will go back to using the PUR filter.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
VApatriot
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

I filter 100% of the water I drink and especially to brew with. SWMBO got us a Big Berkey water filter about a year ago. We also use the 'Black Berkey' filters in combination with the PF-2 filters which take out over 95% of the fluoride as well. Not only does it remove all of the chlorine / chloramamine, it is so thorough it will take food coloring out of the water. It's actually classified as a water purifier, not just a filter. I highly recommend getting one if you don't trust your tap water or it has more junk in it than you want to consume. I saw a report that an individual did on the SE Michigan drinking water and it has over 160 chemicals, drugs, and unknown compounds in it. Ugh, to say the least.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Old 11-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
I filter 100% of the water I drink and especially to brew with. SWMBO got us a Big Berkey water filter about a year ago. We also use the 'Black Berkey' filters in combination with the PF-2 filters which take out over 95% of the fluoride as well. Not only does it remove all of the chlorine / chloramamine, it is so thorough it will take food coloring out of the water. It's actually classified as a water purifier, not just a filter. I highly recommend getting one if you don't trust your tap water or it has more junk in it than you want to consume. I saw a report that an individual did on the SE Michigan drinking water and it has over 160 chemicals, drugs, and unknown compounds in it. Ugh, to say the least.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Those are great filters. I know quite a few people that have them.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I posted a question related to my Pur water filter in another forum but after posting it I realized what the real question is.

I am doing extract with specialty grain brewing. I live in New York City. How important is filtering your water for extract brewing? If you are filtering, what do you use? Do you boil your top-off water?
If you already have a filter, go ahead and use it for your brews. We have a brita that attaches to the faucet. I use it for all of my batches. If you don't have one, how does your tap water taste? If it tastes ok, then just go with that.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm currently filtering using a Brita, as I do all my drinking water because I really don't like the smell of chlorine - I can easily detect it. However, after reading this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/chlo...removal-41018/ it seems that beer is more affected by chloramine, so I'm thinking of campden tablets instead. A search for Chloramine on this site will bring up a lot of info.

One interesting thing I found is that apparently a vitamin C tablet will remove the chloramine from water!!! That's seems the easiest and most economical way. However, the source for this is Wikepedia. YMMV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

I'm not sure what to think about RO/Distilled. RO is easily and cheaply available. Maybe it's better for extract brewing? Since the extract has minerals in it, when you add regular water you are doubling up on the minerals. Our local water is already pretty hard.

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Last edited by Guinness; 11-01-2009 at 02:02 AM.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Geez, those Berkley filters are more than some 5 stage RO units you can get.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
SMOKEU
Recipes 

I never filter my water. I'm lucky that I get access to some of the best tap water in the world.

Quick Reply