Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Yeast questions for my Extract kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

To add to the above

If you steeped some darker grains then added some DME to your addition, boiled to sanitize it you could do that. Just be careful with the darker grains you choose, they could end up changing the flavor profile of your brew. Either way you'll problably end up with beer.

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallbrew View Post
then if i want a darker color i have no options availble to me? as the beer is in the carboy now and will be in their to age for 9 days can i add some wort i boil with dark grain to get some color?
Sorry, I misread your post. Since most extract brewers have trouble with their beer too DARK I assumed that was you problem as well.

At this point you need to figure out which is more important to you: Replicating the color of the beer or the flavor. If you want it darker, Joshua already covered that but like he said you run the risk of introducing different flavors to your beer.

I would make note of it in a log and remember to use darker crystal if you choose to brew it in the future

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
Sorry, I misread your post. Since most extract brewers have trouble with their beer too DARK I assumed that was you problem as well.

At this point you need to figure out which is more important to you: Replicating the color of the beer or the flavor. If you want it darker, Joshua already covered that but like he said you run the risk of introducing different flavors to your beer.

I would make note of it in a log and remember to use darker crystal if you choose to brew it in the future
Make this a +1 to all that. Most extract brewers only have a problem with their beer being too dark, never too light.

Personally I don't mess with my beer once it goes into the primary. I like to know what my recipe produces, and then if I want to fix it I can mess with the recipe for the next time I brew.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
fallbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWhite5522 View Post
You could, it will change your gravity. Specialty malts don't do much to add fermentables to you beer. They are mostly for color and flavors.
Awesome reply man thanks so so much i did add some chocolate malt and the temp is at 69 and SRM is around 10 perfect for this! you folks are awesome!

Quick Reply