Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Yeast problem, how long do I wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
recordsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast problem, how long do I wait?

So I finished brewing my fourth beer last night and I think I killed my yeast or they were dead or something cause there is no activity. How long should I wait and should I throw out the batch or re pitch with fresh yeast? I am using a british ale yeast.

You know I hate being a noob.

Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
JacktheKnife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Howdy,
It takes till the next day, or even two to get visably 'going.'
If I brew a batch at 3 am , it takes a day or even two,
till I can see foam on top of the wort.
I'd say don't worry, have a homebrew.

J. Knife

Old 05-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Yeast can take as much as 48 hours to complete their growth phase. It depends on the amount of yeast you pitch and how much oxygen is in the wort. Once they are done growing, they start making CO2 and alcohol. I never repitch before 48 hours.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordsmith
So I finished brewing my fourth beer last night and I think I killed my yeast or they were dead or something cause there is no activity. How long should I wait and should I throw out the batch or re pitch with fresh yeast? I am using a british ale yeast.

You know I hate being a noob.

Jon
Hey Jon,
Tell us just what you did... Did you aerate the wort? What temp was the wort when you pitched? How long has it been since you pitched? Dry or Liquid yeast? Did you make a starter? What was your OG?

If you pitched a vial of White Labs with little aeration and no starter it can take up to 24 hours or longer to see any results... Aeration and Starters are your friend!!!

The more info you can give us, the closer we can dial in on what may have happened...

mikey

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
recordsmith
Recipes 

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Here is what I did. Wyeast #1335 is the yeast that I used. I did Aerat but I did not use a starter. The tempeture might hae been a problem it was around 87 degrees. I pitched it yesturaday at about 5:30pm and the OG was 1.040.

I hope this helps. I guess I am just worried that the temp was to high.

thanks
Jon

Old 05-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
lergnom
Recipes 

I did the same thing. Temp was too high. Three days later the bubbling started. Beer turned out fine. I learned to get the temp down, and to not be ridged on when I did things. Oh, let the beer age some before drinking, flavors will blend.

lergnom

Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This os one of my peeves with brewers in a situation such as yourself...no starter and then you wonder what's wrong???

Here's a simple brewing rule #1: Don't brew unless your starter is good and active...PERIOD!!

Old 05-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordsmith
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Here is what I did. Wyeast #1335 is the yeast that I used. I did Aerat but I did not use a starter. The tempeture might hae been a problem it was around 87 degrees. I pitched it yesturaday at about 5:30pm and the OG was 1.040.

I hope this helps. I guess I am just worried that the temp was to high.

thanks
Jon
Hey again Jon,

That is a bit high, but not high enough to croak the yeasties... might shock them somewhat if they were much cooler than the wort... But Hell, I pitched my starter of WLP565 Saison I yeast today at around 85 F... but then I WANT this one to ferment that warm!!! All them good Belgian flavors... yummie

I would recommend making a starter though... it can be a PITA, but it really does help fermentation... here's a good article on why you should make one... I bought a magnetic stirrer after reading this one:

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/M..._Culturing.php

I aerate for a minimum of 30 minutes with a air pump and filtered 2 micron stone (I smoke too much to keep O2 nearby LOL)... I really think that aeration/oxygenation and making a healthy starter goes a LONG way towards making better beer!!!

I also use either Servomyces or WYeast Nutrient (and sometimes both) to make sure things go as fast and strong as they can... I love it but again YMMV and all that...

So any signs of activity yet???

later,
mikey

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The batch I did Friday had nothing Saturday night.. I decided to wait until Sunday morning to re-pitch..... It was going nicely.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #10
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update on the Saison I pitched at 85F... about 4 hours later and the krausen is beginning to form and the air lock is bubbling nicely...

Starters are your friend!!!

later,
mikey

Brendan Behan

Quick Reply