Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Wyeast American Ale Puffy upon Arrival

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
cigarmitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Wyeast American Ale Puffy upon Arrival

I came home for lunch and found my shipment from northern brewer on the step! Of course I opened the Rye Extract kit right away to get the Wyeast into the fridge. When I opened the box the packet of yeast was already at full gas capacity like I had popped the packet inside. Is it okay to brew with in the next day? The ice pack that shipped with it was not cold, maybe Luke warm.

Thoughts?

Cigar Mitch
Mitch's Bitch'n Brews
Overmountain Brewers
Abingdon VA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's been known to happen. Sometimes the inner pack breaks in transit. All it means is that you don't need to worry about waiting for it to inflate before pitching it into your starter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Revvy

Recipes 

You are planning to make a starter, right, because ESPECIALLY since the yeast arrived under questionable conditions, you want to insure viability by making a starter ahead?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
cigarmitch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about letting the yeast calm back down in the fridge and then using the pack as intended?

Cigar Mitch
Mitch's Bitch'n Brews
Overmountain Brewers
Abingdon VA

Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmitch View Post
What about letting the yeast calm back down in the fridge and then using the pack as intended?
What do you mean by "calm back down?"

At this point if you put it in your fridge the yeast will go dormant and you'll have to start from scratch and will probably have a lag. Just make a starter and then brew as normal.

All that happened is that, was the inner nutrient pack more than likely did get popped, and they ate it and farted co2 like normal which expanded the pack.

It's not going to go down much when you chill it, the co2 already expanded it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Just make a starter. You don't want them to calm down, plus with the Wyeast packs, you aren't going to have enough cells in there to begin with anyway.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Yup. Make a starter right away. If you're a few days away from brewday, make a starter now and step it up a day or two before you brew.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
cigarmitch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am working on one now, as I don't really have the fancy equipment for it, I will try my best with the tools I have at hand! Thanks fellas!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I am working on one now, as I don't really have the fancy equipment for it, I will try my best with the tools I have at hand! Thanks fellas!
You don't really need anything fancy to make a starter, just some sort of a container, some malt extract, a pan, water and the yeast you're going to pitch. Stirplates, pyrex flasks and bottled oxygen are fine and dandy and helpful but starters were made for decades without homebrewers using anything but what I mentioned above.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
cigarmitch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

DONE AND DONE! Pretty quick and easy. Hopefully the boys will do some work and I can pitch late tomorrow night around 10pm EST. That will give me enough time to brew after work and still give them at least 24 hours to eat up some delicious rye ale!

Cigar Mitch
Mitch's Bitch'n Brews
Overmountain Brewers
Abingdon VA

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS