Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > WL Yeast East Coast Ale 008--Problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
Jason Halter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default WL Yeast East Coast Ale 008--Problems?

I just got my Vile in the mail last week. When i Got it, it was warm. So i put in the fridge straight away. Well... Two days ago I looked at it and she had a definite seperation of sludge and brown liquid on top. And when i went downstairs to get me a brew, wouldn't you know i has the fridge set Too damn low and the vial had a small portion in the middle frozen!!

1. Has anyone else used this yeast with good results?

2. Does anyone think that my vial is screwed from all the temp extremes?

3. Is that seperation of liquid/ sediment normal.

This is my first liquid yeast that i have aquired. Does anyone think that it should still be O.K.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
flippindiscs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

1- Haven't tryed the yeast but have tried others

2- Temp extremes didn't help but one way to find out. Make a starter and see if fermentation starts. If it does, it is okay I would say. If it does not, find a local homebrew store or just order another. One way to really tell is make a small batch for a growler and see if the beer turns out okay (just take a small sample after primary and see if there are any bad off flavors). It nothing is wrong, just bottle the yeast in a sanitized empty water bottle and pitch into a new batch you brew.

3- The ones I have bought are like that and have had no probs. Just shake it, wait 30 min and pitch into wort.

Like I said if your really worried, take a full batch of wort and take out a 1/2 gal. or full gal and ferment it on the side. You can always reuse the yeast for another batch. Plus reusing save $$. Hope this helped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply