New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Williams Brewing Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Big10Seaner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Williams Brewing Kits

I usually order supplies from Midwest or my lhbs store, but this time I decided to try Williams Brewing. I ordered the Amarillo Ale kit and it comes with 125ml liquid yeast (that's all it says on their website). My last few Wyeast activator packs I simply pitched into the primary and had no problems whatsoever. Has anyone else used a Williams Brewing kit? I'm curious if I need to make a starter (I already know that most will say yes), but I'm wondering if anyone has directly pitched with a Williams kit and had good results.

[B]The End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Nada
On tap: Farm Pond IPA, Airstream Ale, Barn Door Dubbel, Saison, Oktoberfest ale
Bottled: Blackberry mead, RIS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My American IPA in sig is a Williams kit. I still ended up making a starter with the smack-pack though.

It was my 2nd brew ever and I honestly wasn't to fond of their directions (yes, being so new i needed to use them). I ended up turning to my How To Brew book a few times for answers. I also didn't like how the LME came in a big plastic bag. Made it hard to handle. My other kits have all had LME come in a jug or bottle of some sort.

Not sure if i'll order any of their kits again.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Bad Shark Brew
Recipes 

When I first started in this obsession, err hobby, I used the William's kits. Being a newb, I just pitched the yeast directly and never had a problem. Knowing what I know now, I would have used a starter. There's several advantages to doing a starter and I think the extra day or two required are well worth it in the end. Plus, by doing starters, you have an excuse to buy more toys, err brewing equipment.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Always do a starter if you use any type of liquid yeast. It makes the yeast much more ready for life in the brew and also assures you that it is viable.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
j3cub56
Recipes 

i have brewed several of their kits, and have always just pitched the smack pack- no problems, very active ferment. i am about to venture into the practice of making a starter myself, but i think you will be safe and have good results with their kits and their directions.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10Seaner
I usually order supplies from Midwest or my lhbs store, but this time I decided to try Williams Brewing.
The very first thing I brewed ('88? '89?) was a Williams Brewing brown ale extract kit in the WB buckets. I still have the thermometer from that kit.

I was stationed in the former FRG at the time and WB was the only shop that would ship to APO. So I bought from them exclusively.

Digression: Either BrewGadgets or Northern Brewer sold my name to Williams recently. I'd guess BrewGadgets. It was fun to see the WB stuff again.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 03-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3cub56
i am about to venture into the practice of making a starter myself
I have found that my willingness to make a starter is much increased since I got a pressure cooker and some half-gallon jars.

I make some wort with DME, throw it into mason jars and sterilize'em at 15# for 15mins. Let cool over night and there's instant starter media for whenever you want it. I used to make starter only when forced to; with the precooked wort it's nearly fun.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
imasickboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus
Digression: Either BrewGadgets or Northern Brewer sold my name to Williams recently. I'd guess BrewGadgets. It was fun to see the WB stuff again.
I've never done any business with BrewGadgets nor Williams, but have purchased from NB, and surprisingly just received a WB catalog in the mail last week. From your comment, I believe we can now identify the culprit. I am not pleased with that practice, and I shall express my displeasure with my wallet.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
sittingturbo
Recipes 

I have only ordered from Williams Brewing online... I no longer order online, because my local home brew store is well stocked. However, I made the Amarillo Ale kit a while back, and everyone that drank it was more then pleased. I liked it so much, my pale ale recipe which I constantly refine is based off that kit.

I see some people are not happy with William's however I have to say they have great customer service...

I bought a kit 2 years ago, and wrote them about a week ago, asking what the hops were so I could buy them and make that kit since the original hops where no longer good. And without even a fuss, they sent me new hops the same day they got my e-mail... They did this one time before for me, with a packet of yeast...

If you don't have a good brew store I would recommend them.

Upcoming: None

Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I decided to try Williams Brewing.
I did that a few months ago.. they are cheaper than most others.. shipping is very reasonable and their customer service is great.. Whoever first mentioned them, $$ to you, thanks. I added them to my list (Austin HB, Northern Brewer, and More Beer) and in the last few months they are getting the bulk of my business

Quick Reply