Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Will astringency age out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
By-Tor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Will astringency age out?

I just racked my strawberry wheat to secondary and tasted the hydro sample and it seemed very dry.The sample I tasted the day I brewed was very sweet.I used nottingham yeast,which i've used before and it wasent like that.Could it be the exrtract I used?I ordered it off morebeer.com,or the strawberrys maybe? My question is, will the astringent feel age out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Age is kind to everything except boobs and butts... so, give it time.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Wheat beers can be more dry than barley malt beers...what % wheat did you use?

It's probably a little more tart because of the acid in the strawberry coming out as the yeast consumed all the sugar. Wort is always sweet so I'm not surprised by that.

Nottingham isn't a particularly dry-finishing yeast, so it should leave a little bit of maltiness or sweetness.

As The Pol said, you can't tell a *lot* yet. Give it a few weeks. The strawberry mead we made wasn't any good until it hit 18 months old...your beer shouldn't take that long, hopefully.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_g View Post
Wheat beers can be more dry than barley malt beers...what % wheat did you use?

It's probably a little more tart because of the acid in the strawberry coming out as the yeast consumed all the sugar. Wort is always sweet so I'm not surprised by that.

Nottingham isn't a particularly dry-finishing yeast, so it should leave a little bit of maltiness or sweetness.

As The Pol said, you can't tell a *lot* yet. Give it a few weeks. The strawberry mead we made wasn't any good until it hit 18 months old...your beer shouldn't take that long, hopefully.
I used 60% wheat 40% barley. I hope it doesent take that long,I'm an impatient cat.I'll age it a month and see how it is. Can old extract or different brands give off an astringent feel?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post
I just racked my strawberry wheat to secondary and tasted the hydro sample and it seemed very dry.The sample I tasted the day I brewed was very sweet.I used nottingham yeast,which i've used before and it wasent like that.Could it be the exrtract I used?I ordered it off morebeer.com,or the strawberrys maybe? My question is, will the astringent feel age out?
Maybe I'm missing something, but a sample taken on brew day will always be sweeter than the sample after primary. The sugar in the brewday sample is what the yeast eats.

That said, sharpness in new beer will age out.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but a sample taken on brew day will always be sweeter than the sample after primary. The sugar in the brewday sample is what the yeast eats.

That said, sharpness in new beer will age out.
It seemed overly sweet on brew day,thats why I mentioned it,and it went from real sweet to, like, a merlow dry.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
rgalbin
Recipes 

Is the flavor more dry or bitter?
What specific gravity is the beer at? This could be due to the wheat or extract not having as many unfermentable sugars or because the strawberries contained nutrients that helped the yeast ferment more of the sugars. So It could have finished dryer than other beers you have brewed.

If that is the issue there might be a different remedy

Quick Reply