Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why Would Steeping Grains Include 2 Row?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

For a drier IPA style partial mash beer, I would advise mashing your MO and 2-row at 147 or 148 F for 60 minutes (1.5 liters of water per lb. of grain). Reason being, extract is not as fermentable so you kind of have some control over 20% of the fermentables here by mashing them lower to balance things out a bit. Also, subbing a portion of the extract with dextrose or sucrose (sugar) will help with dryness. 8-10% sugar in this recipe should do.

I would completely cut out the C120 here. You're already at 11% crystal with both; 16% total cara malts with the carafa. The C120 in this particular recipe may add a very detracting, unwanted sweetness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Isn't extra sweetness needed to balance out the IPA level hops? Or is this even beyond that? This will be my first hop heavy brew.

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
bobbrews
Recipes 

You shouldn't have an issue with the hop bitterness given the high expected OG/FG, but it is impossible to tell unless you list the hop schedule, target OG/FG, and boil/batch size.

Desired level of sweetness is based on personal preference. But you'll find that most people who love AIPAs prefer them drier with low amounts of crystal malt. It's up to you. If you have a sweet tooth, then proceed as planned and see how it works out for your taste buds.

Lastly, IPAs are all about the beauty of "Unbalance". They are innately hop forward, bitter beers. Balance is a horrible word to describe them. If you want balance, brew an ESB.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Partial mashing is a piece of cake and not much different from steeping. Figure maybe 1.5 quarts per pound of grain in the mash and mash at 152F for 60 minutes. I always put my kettle and grain bag in a warm oven for the mash to keep the temp from dropping below 150F.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
You shouldn't have an issue with the hop bitterness given the high expected OG/FG, but it is impossible to tell unless you list the hop schedule, target OG/FG, and boil/batch size.

Desired level of sweetness is based on personal preference. But you'll find that most people who love AIPAs prefer them drier with low amounts of crystal malt. It's up to you. If you have a sweet tooth, then proceed as planned and see how it works out for your taste buds.

Lastly, IPAs are all about the beauty of "Unbalance". They are innately hop forward, bitter beers. Balance is a horrible word to describe them. If you want balance, brew an ESB.
Not disagreeing with you about the nature of IPA's, but this is a Black IPA, which adds a maltier weight and body, going big on both sides of the palate.

That said, as an extract brewer, I've had my share of leftover sugars in a couple batches that ended at 1.020. I'm seriously considering your suggestion.

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
smetana1986
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For a mini mash like this do you mash with the specialty grains mixed in with the base malts at the same time?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetana1986 View Post
For a mini mash like this do you mash with the specialty grains mixed in with the base malts at the same time?
Yes, all the grains go in together.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigbrew View Post
Not disagreeing with you about the nature of IPA's, but this is a Black IPA, which adds a maltier weight and body, going big on both sides of the palate.

That said, as an extract brewer, I've had my share of leftover sugars in a couple batches that ended at 1.020. I'm seriously considering your suggestion.
Some of the best dry Black IPAs out there are as dry as a bone. Even Founders KBS Stout, which is hefty as ever and not a Black IPA yet still high on the IBU count at 73-ish, finishes lower than 1.020 FG.

Quick Reply