Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why Would Steeping Grains Include 2 Row?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
brigbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Why Would Steeping Grains Include 2 Row?

I just bought a BIPA extract kit and the steeping grains include a pound of pale malt. I've been doing my homework and found many a thread with conflicting information. Some say steep as usual and just get a small amount of flavor from the pale malt. This seems to fly in the face of everything I've learned about steeping/mashing. Others say it needs to be mashed. I have pretty good temperature control, so I could do a partial mash for 60 minutes rather than steeping for 30, but how will doing one or the other affect my gravity numbers? Because clearly they would change if I pull fermentables from mashing, but not from steeping. So, am i missing some basic piece of information here, or is the store just nuts?

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

if you steep for 30, you pull most of the fermentables. mashing for 60 is better. they're doing the instructions for convenience, not efficiency

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigbrew View Post
I just bought a BIPA extract kit and the steeping grains include a pound of pale malt. I've been doing my homework and found many a thread with conflicting information. Some say steep as usual and just get a small amount of flavor from the pale malt. This seems to fly in the face of everything I've learned about steeping/mashing. Others say it needs to be mashed. I have pretty good temperature control, so I could do a partial mash for 60 minutes rather than steeping for 30, but how will doing one or the other affect my gravity numbers? Because clearly they would change if I pull fermentables from mashing, but not from steeping. So, am i missing some basic piece of information here, or is the store just nuts?
What are all the grains involved?

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Extract:
6 lb. Briess Gold Light LME
1 lb. Light DME

Steeping Grains:
1 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. 2 Row
8 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Crystal 120L
8 oz. Carafa III

And I was just reading a thread a little further down where Yooper was emphatically stating that they MUST be mashed for 60, when lumpher comes back and says you can get fermentables from steeping. But doesn't the starch conversion need 60 minutes?

Bottled: Stratford Ale (English Bitter), FestivAle (Holiday Ale), Dunkelweisen, Katherina (Jalapeno) Cream Ale

Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just about all the starches can convert in under 20 minutes. They'll just get progressively more fermentable if you let it go longer. Steeping is usually done around 160-165, partial mash the low 150s. At 160, you'll get starch conversion, but not too many fermentables, as beta-amylase is destroyed pretty rapidly at those temps. Alpha-amylase actually works fastest a little over 160.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

The ingredients list looks more like a partial mash. Mash 1 hour at 150-155F to get conversion. This will get decent fermentables vs non-fermentables that provide color & body to my current understanding. Lower temp,more fermentables. Higher temp,less. I've done 2 partial mashes,& this worked pretty well.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I agree that they probably flubbed somehting and gave you the PM version of the recipe. Either way it should be fun right! Something a little different than the usual makes for an exciting brew day.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 2715

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigbrew View Post
Extract:
6 lb. Briess Gold Light LME
1 lb. Light DME

Steeping Grains:
1 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. 2 Row
8 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Crystal 120L
8 oz. Carafa III

And I was just reading a thread a little further down where Yooper was emphatically stating that they MUST be mashed for 60, when lumpher comes back and says you can get fermentables from steeping. But doesn't the starch conversion need 60 minutes?
The Maris Otter is also a base malt that requires mashing. I have a feeling the store accidently packaged a Partial Mash as a Steeping grain and extract kit. As everyone mentioned you'll benefit more by mashing these grains on this batch.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good to know I'm not nuts. And I've learned a bit about the gray area between steeping and mashing.

Well, partial mash it is! Far be it from me to object to what fate clearly wants me to be brewing.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

Who knows? You might be good at it. Just keep mash temps between 150-159F or so,& it'll be ok. 153-155F even better.

Quick Reply