The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why use both LME and DME in a recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
NewBrew75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why use both LME and DME in a recipe?

I often see recipes in BYO that include both LME and DME, even though they are the same type extract just different forms. Why would you do this rather than use all of one or the other?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMO it's just what they had on hand at the time they brewed.

Whenever possible I convert all the LME to DME...then DME to grain...sometimes...

1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Many places sell LME in 1.5 or 3 kg boxes, so if you see a recipe that uses 6.6 lbs of LME and some DME, that's the reason.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
22415 Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with all written above.

However, let's say you had a small boil pot (less than 3 gallons) and could barely stuff all the extract into it without it overflowing...

You could just buy a bigger boil pot, but let's just say that for some reason it's not possible to use one/can't get one etc. In this case to use let's say 7 to 10 pounds of dry malt extract in a full rolling boil could become quite difficult/dangerous. I could imagine the 'raft' of DME floating downstream on your stove.

Also in the same scenario, to use the equivalent amount of LME in a full rolling boil could also become quite difficult as well. Unlike your DME the LME would sink to the bottom (if added in large quantity) and you'd have to stir like crazy while steam and spitting wort splash everywhere.

So perhaps adding both types of extracts could balance the equilibrium in a tiny pot?

Or maybe the sponsor is one of the malt companies and they want to sell the whole spectrum of product?

On Draft: All-Calypso APA, German Pilsener, Coffee-Cocoa Nib Stout, American Amber Ale
On-Deck: Imperial Chai Tea Brown Ale, Big Bock B*tch, something funky and belgian

Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I always use both. I don't have any specifics on why with the exception that LME seems to be cheaper at my LHBS.

Drinking - The Plinian Legacy, Cream of Three Crops
Primary - Air
Secondary - Air
Up Next - Oberon Clone

Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #6
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I only use DME, Briess to be exact, its what my LHBS carries, they sell LME by the pound, but I just cant see paying for hydrated DME. I'd say you gat a little more for your dollar w/DME. Conversely, LME comes in a ton of different types/colors/styles etc...Plus DME stores better.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
bull
Recipes 

seems i have a very different tasting beer when i use the dme ,,way better tasting to me ,a little more in cost but after you have brewed a few more batches youll be able to tell a difference too,you beer bud bull

Quick Reply