New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why has my fermentation been stopping at 1.020?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I highly recommend using a very attenuative yeast and supplementing 8-13% corn sugar (in place of extract) as a flameout addition. The 4-6% we typically see in all grain clones, like Pliny the Elder, is not enough to dry out an extract version.

Additionally, check what's going into your extract. I've had great success with Muntons Extra Light DME since the ppg/L ratings are extremely close to pure 2-row, meaning less fillers and crystal. There's no reason why you shouldn't have a drier beer than you're typically used to with 85% XL DME, 10% corn sugar, 5% crystal 20, and the appropriate amount of high attenuating yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post
I wonder if it has something to do with Safeale 05 itself. I just racked the Brushfire brown recipe after 17 days in the primary. I keep my house at 68-69 degrees. My reading was 1.020. I've noticed this on my last few brews where I have used US-05. I brew all grain and have been hitting my OG targets. Both were 1.060. So, I ended up with 5.25% ABV vs 6.3%. I'm fine with that, but I do wonder why it finishes so short.
It's not US-05. My last batch was an extract kit and it finished right on target with 05; OG 1.054, FG 1.013.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Bottled: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Hank's Hefeweizen
Drinking: Maibock

"Charlie don't surf."

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #23
ryanmx48
Recipes 

I've brewed 2 batches, both Midwest, and they both had FG's of 1020. I'm new, I figured this was normal.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I wonder if its inconsistency with the extract or yeast ?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #25
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

My bet is oxygen levels. I had this happen frequently, on extract or all-grain, then I started taking care of the O2 levels and all my problems went away in an instant.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #26
BxBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
My bet is oxygen levels. I had this happen frequently, on extract or all-grain, then I started taking care of the O2 levels and all my problems went away in an instant.
Ive been using http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_34_458&products_id=1040 8 to aerate my wort before pitching. I do this for a solid 5 min and i have tight white foam almost coming out of my primary. I still hit that 1.020 some times. Even with the same kit and nothing done different.

Im thinking some extract is inconsistent. My best extract brews used Muntons or Briess brand. I know and have used other major brew supplies kits. Some say that they are from the former but just seem inconsistent. My two LHBS kits, one had Briess brand extract. The other uses Muntons. Online ive used kits from Midwest, Northern and Austin. They have been the ones that are hit and miss for me.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've heard lots of theories...was going with the inconsistency of the extracts...but I think it's too consistently reported by new brewers and many of those are getting kits from places like MWS that moves lots of stuff.

Thinking back, I boiled the crap out of my first batch because most new brewers know you have to have a seething cauldron, and I'm wondering if that didn't somehow alter the sugars into something less fermentable. Also, I used just the standard yeast provided with the kit, while probably OK yeast, it was only 1/2 the recommended pitch rate for a 5gal batch according to the pitch rate calculators (I didn't know about at the time).

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Bottled: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Hank's Hefeweizen
Drinking: Maibock

"Charlie don't surf."

Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #28
BxBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
I've heard lots of theories...was going with the inconsistency of the extracts...but I think it's too consistently reported by new brewers and many of those are getting kits from places like MWS that moves lots of stuff.

Thinking back, I boiled the crap out of my first batch because most new brewers know you have to have a seething cauldron, and I'm wondering if that didn't somehow alter the sugars into something less fermentable. Also, I used just the standard yeast provided with the kit, while probably OK yeast, it was only 1/2 the recommended pitch rate for a 5gal batch according to the pitch rate calculators (I didn't know about at the time).
I did this with my last batch. I always dialed back my temp just to boiling. This time i cranked it up. Thinking maybe i want breaking down the extract enough. I even put all in instead of late addition. This batch isn't fermenting as hard. Its something in the process or in the ingredients.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #29
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i heard that a little while back safale had a bad batch of us05 that could be the problem, try another yeast

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #30
AerationStation
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Thinking back, I boiled the crap out of my first batch because most new brewers know you have to have a seething cauldron, and I'm wondering if that didn't somehow alter the sugars into something less fermentable.
I've had the same problem when I had a "seething cauldron" boil in my small (16 qt) kettle and noticed the OG go up a few points. I found I could get it down another couple of points with a full boil(if you can find a big enough pot) to try and prevent some scorching while still getting good a hot break and hop utilization.

Janet's Brown Ale
English Mild
Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply