New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #21
Giggliato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

lol, "If you wish to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

I am all for traditional methods, but using an extract is akin to a collaboration between you and the maltster, even if all you do is continually purchase the extract that you find most favorable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #22
sundancebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
Yooper with the spaghetti sauce referrence again (I like it)

For me: I brew to brew, not brew to drink. So I wouldn't doctor a bought sauce. That's exactly what I do with actual spaghetti sauce, but in that case I'm cooking to eat, not cooking for the enjoyment of cooking.

I don't think extract can't be delicious. But everything I know about brewing (which is little) says that AG is only slightly more involved, and I don't see how I could get the same enjoyment out of extract.

I appreciate the responces, and I think my own comment above of brewing to brew, and not brewing to drink answers my question. If you're looking to make quick and good beer then extract does male since. I drink about a beer a week, so I will be entering or giving away most of what I brew.
I have done both & believe u can get a much better product w/ all grain if U do it right. My brew days r a blast.. I brew to brew and brew to drink.. Since u give most of your beer away, i would gladly accept free beer which is the best beer anyway

Old 10-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #23
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3186 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Extract is faster.
All grain is cheaper.

The added gear for AG is not much at all. An on hand or second hand cooler and some hot water pvc will get you going. Seriously. I have three LHBS here and all three will either mill or let me mill grain bought there for free. We see a good number of AG brewers going whole hog with 3 tier rigs, PLCs, more steel and copper than the power plant and rocket ship looking parts, but that's a mentality, not a necessity.

The biggest cost of AG truly is the time. And if you're mashing for 40-90 minutes, that's time you can do something else. The tun does the work.

Stuff and things.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 AM   #24
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I never meant to say all grain was better. I'm getting the feeling some of you heard that.

I truly just meant that extract brewing isn't for me, and wondered why you choose to do it.

Once the ease and speed was brought up it made since. I forgot that not everyone brews for the same reason I do.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Another instance that reminds me of other hobby of mine, stereo gear. Some people have a modest system that they get great enjoyment out of listening to the music. Others may have really expensive, high end gear but spend more time tweaking than they do actually enjoying the music. To them the hobby is the gear and tweaking the process of reproducing the sound, not as much enjoying the music.

Sure, there may be more to it in individual circumstances but regardless it's neither right nor wrong, it just "is".

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Bottled: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Hank's Hefeweizen
Drinking: Maibock

"Charlie don't surf."

Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #26
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brew AG unless the results I want can be achieved with extract.

I say, "Why not extract?"

Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #27
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
Another instance that reminds me of other hobby of mine, stereo gear. Some people have a modest system that they get great enjoyment out of listening to the music. Others may have really expensive, high end gear but spend more time tweaking than they do actually enjoying the music. To them the hobby is the gear and tweaking the process of reproducing the sound, not as much enjoying the music.

Sure, there may be more to it in individual circumstances but regardless it's neither right nor wrong, it just "is".
This is probably why do all grain. I love to cook and I love to tinker/design, so building equipment is part of the fun for me.

However, I've had a number of extremely painful AG days (16+ hours) when there were equipment issues - mash tun cracked and had to be replaced, bad propane tank, etc. The best I've ever done, cleaning included, is 8 hours. There's also the thin/watery aspect Yooper mentioned - that is a PIA. You need to monitor your OG closely.

With extract, I've never had a brew day run over 3 hours (4 if I go to my lhbs first). It's still pretty involved when you use steeping grains, but you can focus on brewing rather than lugging around heavy equipment, brewing, and then cleaning and lugging heavy equipment again.

Don't get me wrong ... AG is awesome. It's just the level of effort, time commitment, and storage space is a pain. Most of the fixes for that are mucho expensive.I think that's why a lot of people here do both.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
hedbutter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I just started brewing, but went with extract brewing as I currently rent an apartment, and storage/space to brew is at a premium. I have to store everything in my basement, but have to brew on the first floor level outside, so everything for a brew day must move from the basement, up a flight of steps and outside (including water), just to move it back down again when finished. With extract brewing, thats 1 brewpot, burner, propane tank, but with AG, it multiplies by 3. I did buy all of my equipment so i can easily upgrade to all grain.
Also, I wanted to get practice/perfect my techniques kegging/bottling, fermenting, cleaning and sanitizing first with extracts so that when i start all grain brewing I'll have something to fall back on.

Kind of like the tomato sauce recipe, but I'll use chili (as I make chili).

At first you buy the chili as a whole (buying a craft beer).
Then you try making chili, but only using canned things such rotella or diced tomatoes with peppers already in them or pre-diced peppers (extract brewing).
Once you're comfortable, you go all out and buy the tomatoes, peppers beans ext and produce it completely from scratch (AG brewing)

All have different levels and all can be great, but with each level, you can make it more of your own.

It's not about finding the best beer, but finding the best in every beer.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
savannahvan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another newbie's opinion here. I've only brewed 4 batches - they have all been extract batches with specialty grains.
I started brewing simply because I really enjoy a GOOD brew. Ive only drank one batch of my personal home brew and it was simply that. A delicious tasting, well-rounded beer.
Its exciting to me that I can tinker with my own brews, really. I can make them less hoppy, or extra malty.
Brewing is rewarding. It's fun & exciting to be able to taste the fruits of your labors!
All that being said, I am very excited to start learning all grain. It will just have to wait until I have more space, time & money.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have 2 young children, a fulltime job plus overtime, an hour commute, and a house to keep up. If it weren't for extract I would get to brew once every 3 months or so. With the extract I can knock out a batch after dinner and still get to bed at a reasonable time. So I essentially can brew once a month or more often if my pipeline is low.

Quick Reply