Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why do most homebrewers make really hoppy beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #51
karbinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettcb
I am completely new to homebrewing but I have to agree that I am not a huge fan of super-hoppy beers. I have been trying to increase my appreciation of hoppy microbrews for years, but I still find myself coming back to the maltier varieties.

In another thread, I came across this chart:
Hops-Gravity Relationship

You could use this chart to ensure that your beer ended up on the maltier side, even if you are brewing a higher gravity beer.
Good to Know Barnettcb !! Thanks for the link !!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #52
Junebug

Recipes 

I tend to brew on the hoppier side, but I can make concessions. I brewed an Irish Ale for my girlfriend yesterday with an IBU of 17.0. Got to keep others happy!

Conditioning: Irish Cream Ale

Conditioning: Kilkenny Irish Ale

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #53
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brew hoppy beers because my wife is a hop head.

For myself I make bitters, porters, and low/med IBU Pale Ales.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #54
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2128 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

While still a teenager, I drank Coors Light, and though it was strong! But, after turning 21 (And it became easier to acquire more different beers), I started tryign different things. About the time I tried brewing myself, and started knowing more about different beer styles, I got hold of some "real" beer.

At first I had to drink them slowly, and carefully. I'd try and pick out the different flavors and aspects. Eventually, I got used to stronger beers, both malty and hopped, and have not been able to enjoy a light American style since.

I don't prefer a IPA in general, but sometimes they hit the spot. That is all my friend ever brews. He's a real hophead. He is always trying to find a more hoppy beer! I like variety. I just got done brewing an IPA, just to see how it goes (and I love the smell!) But I like Bass Pale Ale, and Nut Browns. Really it's what sounds good at the time.

There are plenty of different beers to brew, and nobody says you have to enjoy an IPA to enjoy brewing. This IPA I just made was my first. Now that it's done, I'll likely move on to something completely different.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #55
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I thought I would be a hop man forever after these past two years. but this past week (with a dry hopped Ale ready for bottling) I am starting to steer back into porters and stouts. That is my next extract kit. Any recommendations for a good heavy strong Stout. Don't really want an oatmeal stout though.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #56
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oops wrong thread. :0

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #57
raceskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like a wide range of beers. (Still trying to wrap my senses around Belgians though) As the ready availability of small craft beers increased over the past 10 yers or so, I've sampled a lot of beers. Bad mouth them all you want, but I believe Sam Adams really opened a lot of people's minds to the fact that beer could mean something other than BMC. I certainly agree that balance is essential. I find that the balance I like in a beer varies. Most of the time I really don't care for SNPA, but I know it was sampling things like Stone IPA and DFH IPA that got me into home brewing.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #58
BeachBumDeac
Recipes 

I'm not reading through this whole thread, but just because someone doesn't like really hoppy beer, does not mean they're a BMC beer noob... they might just not like the taste of really strongly hopped beer.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #59
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am not that the original premise is correct. Every few months, my LHBS has beer tastings, and in general. I'm the only person that brings really heavily hopped brews. Everyone speaks respectfully of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA and Hop Devil and all of those, but most people bring along stouts and porters and Scottish ales and stuff like that.

There's no deep dark secret about why I brew heavily hopped beers - I just like them best is all. Others like malty brews. It's not a matter of which is better - it's all about what you like.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #60
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I think what's important is the integrity of your beer. If you know what beer style you're trying to brew (or a lack of style) and are happy with how you want it hopped, then great... it's your creation. I also think that our culture and environment helps determine how we taste bitterness. This is improving, but we in America (but not just America) are brought up on a lot of sweet and savory foods (soda, fast food, etc.). Bitterness is the antithesis of that and it takes an open mind to make the change.

Quick Reply