Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why do most homebrewers make really hoppy beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 AM   #21
rescue brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am with you thread starter, not a huge fan of ultra hoppy beer. I like a good IPA once in a while, but tend to enjoy a roasty brown, porter or stout more.

ALTHOUGH...I am new to Home Brewing and keep getting the urge to make a really hoppy ale !! what gives?! noob hops disease?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #22
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is an interesting cycle that a lot of brewers go through. First there's the dark beers, then there is the hoppy beers, then its Belgians, then its the lambics and sour beers, then it is the subtle, low gravity beers or the rich (malty) beers. You are just skipping ahead!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #23
Fender230
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well I am a young fellow (22) and all of you out there saying that BMC is ruining taste buds, there is truth to that. I stole a Busch from my father when I was 14 or so. Tasted bad... real bad. I went into high school and tried to develop a taste for beer... it seemed like one of those things where it would just click... ya know. I hated everything that everyone was drinking (remember I was in high school) and I think they did too. I stopped drinking beer and switched to whiskey... which I did grow to love and still do... Then one day I had a Saranac (say what you will it's better than BMC) and I tasted hops for the first time. From that day I started advocating good beer. Going to Sam Adams made me want to brew... and I do in fact live a 10 minute walk from there so if I need inspiration I go there or Harpoon.

Basically what I am saying is that if you don't grow up with watered down adjunct beer it won't be the norm. That is if you drink beer because you love it and not to get wasted.

Sorry if this sprawled a bit. It's 11:45 and I live above a bar with 28 taps... you can infer what you want from that.

Matt from JP

Old 02-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #24
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't take credit for this theory b/c I know I read it somewhere, but can't remeber where. Possibly on this forum. homebrewers grow fond of hoppy beers because they are the most fun to brew. Not only are you kept on your toes with multiple hop additions, but I think many of us love the smell released from your boiling wort when hops are added.

Personally, I love everything about hops, but I just finished the last of my homebrewed IPA about a month ago. I have now decided to halt production of that beer because I can't justify using enough hops in one batch of beer to make 4 or 5 batches of something else due to the hop shortage.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #25
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like big flavor... that means everything either gets hopped to death, malted to death, or adjuncted to death. If I want boring beers I'll buy them from the store.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #26
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I think it has to do with the price of hops. People like to show their wealth.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #27
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

High hopping rates cover brewing "short comings" and other mistakes...

It was also popular with the Micros about, gee, 15-20 years ago, so it MUST still be relevant, right?

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #28
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
+1 on a Scottish ale if you want malty beers.

I have strange tastes as well. My three favorite styles are very different - IPA (hoppy), Scottish (malty), and Porter (roasty). It just depends on my mood.

Just curious, but you said that maybe you are more sensitive to bitterness. Taste buds do become less sensitive with age and I remember reading somewhere that bitterness was the first taste to fade. Are you still relatively young?
Yes, I am only 22, but I don't think that has much of an impact unless most of you out there are close to 50.

Btw, SUPER interesting article I found about taste: http://www.afic.org/Taste%20Matters.htm .

It says about 25% of the population are "super tasters" meaning that they have many many more taste receptors than the rest, which means they are very sensitive to the bitter compounds in things like coffee or some green vegetables. There is even a simple test you can do with blue food dye on your tongue to see if you are one of these people or not! I seriously have to try this, and I would love to see the results on some of you...perhaps with your beer preferences listed as well?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #29
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768
Yes, I am only 22, but I don't think that has much of an impact unless most of you out there are close to 50.

Btw, SUPER interesting article I found about taste: http://www.afic.org/Taste%20Matters.htm .

It says about 25% of the population are "super tasters" meaning that they have many many more taste receptors than the rest, which means they are very sensitive to the bitter compounds in things like coffee or some green vegetables. There is even a simple test you can do with blue food dye on your tongue to see if you are one of these people or not! I seriously have to try this, and I would love to see the results on some of you...perhaps with your beer preferences listed as well?

Dude, blue food dye? Is this a tasting test or a counting test?

That being said, gratz for saying something "interesting" on your 4th post...

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #30
chemist308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I must admit, I too prefer a microbrewed chocolate stout to a microbrewed IPA any day. That said, a lot of people do like Sam Adams and a friend told me that my recently brewed IPA reminded him of Sam Adams Boston Lager. Maybe that's why so many home brewers opt for the IPAs.

Primary Fermenter 1: Beer

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Quick Reply