Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why do most homebrewers make really hoppy beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Why do most homebrewers make really hoppy beer?

I am starting to think something is wrong with my tastebuds...Most of the homebrewers I know use around 50 IBUs of hops for their beers, and they talk about how it balances with the sweetness of the malt. However, many times I cannot taste the malt at all due to the overpowering hops, even in the good commercial stuff like Sam Adams Boston Lager. In fact, I didn't even know what malt was supposed to taste like until I opened a can of LME for the first time and took a sample, and it was good!

I thought all beer was just really hoppy and bitter until I tried a Marzen. It really surprised me because it was a little thicker and I could actually taste some sweetness, and I ended up finding out that Marzens have only 20-25 IBUs. In fact, this "revelation" is what got me interested in brewing in the first place.

Also, I also don't like coffee and chocolate because they taste very bitter to me too. Do you think it is just my tastebuds, or is there some sort of bad agreement among small brewers that using loads of hops is the only way to make a "good" beer?

Don't flame me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I don't think I've ever made a 50 IBU beer, but that being said, most people who are used to BMC are shocked at the taste of hops in my beer. You know, that's the way beer was brewed for hundreds of years. BMC is a recent perversion that washes all the taste of both the hops and the malt away.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nope, I tend not to like overly hopped beers. My favorite beers are definitely malty. Stouts, porters and wits are probably my 3 favorite. Not to say I don't enjoy a good IPA every now and then(made one with 80 ibu's and Ioved it), but most of my beers come in under 35 ibus. But if your coming from BMC then 20 ibu's might be a lot right now. Give your taste buds a while to adjust.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Well, there are many types of homebrew. I make some that are amber ales with 30 IBUs, and then some IPAs with 90 IBUs. I think the key is to find out what you like, and make it that way. I made a beer once (I think it might have been a Fat Tire clone) and only made it with about 20 IBUs for my friends who were nervous about homebrew. If you like Marzens and other lagers, then learn how to make those. That's the great thing about homebrew- you can make beer exactly how you like it!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's all a matter of preference. You might be more partial to malty beers, or maybe you just haven't drank enought hoppy beers to develop a taste for them. I like hoppy and non-hoppy beers, but when I think hops, 50 IBU is on the low end for me.

Drink what you like, and if it's only a few different styles or a certain type of beer then so be it. It's your beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I like hoppy bears...or I guess I should say I like balanced beers where you notice the hops. I've tried the uber-hoppy IPA's and once in awhile it's ok but not as my regular quaff of choice.

The ultra hopsmanship of beers over the last few years reminds of when hotsauces finally became popular a few years back when everyone was out scoville-ing each other, eating hotter and hotter sauces.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
DaleWi
Recipes 

I'm not crazy about overly-hopped beers either, a little goes a long way and I prefer my beers on the sweeter side. I also think some people are just more sensitive to bitterness. My wife won't drink any beer or coffee (my life's blood in equal measure), no matter how sweet or sugared, it always tastes too bitter to her. About both she always says "I wish it tasted the way it smells" to which I reply "it does..."

Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

My last two were 15 IBU and 25 IBU (.453 & .625 IBU/SG).

Rick

Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think they are kind of an acquired taste. When I tried my first IIPA I hated it, now I love them.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
maybe you just haven't drank enought hoppy beers to develop a taste for them.

Yep, I didn't like IPA's initially. The more you drink them, the more you like them. It's an acquired tatste for some.

Quick Reply