Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Whole hops stealing my wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Jubilee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Whole hops stealing my wort?

I just finished boiling up a extract/specialty grain IPA. Realized at the time of racking to the fermenter that a decent amount of my wort was lost to the 16oz of whole hops.

Question: can I start my 3 gal boil with just a small amount of LME, go through my 60 min boil with hop additions, then remove my hops with a strainer and boil the remaining LME for 15 min?

Figure I'll lose much less of my sugars that way, and hop utilization might be better in the lower gravity boil. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1988

sounds good to me

Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You just need to account for more losses when you use whole hops, if you lost .5 gallons to the hops then add .5 gallons more water to your final boil volume. One tip with whole hops, if you put your hops in bags (nylon paint strainer bag) you can squeeze a lot of the wort out of it after your done.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
You just need to account for more losses when you use whole hops, if you lost .5 gallons to the hops then add .5 gallons more water to your final boil volume. One tip with whole hops, if you put your hops in bags (nylon paint strainer bag) you can squeeze a lot of the wort out of it after your done.
+1 and remember that if you account for the lost volume it will affect the OG, regardless of whether you add water to make up for the lost wort or just boil-off less. So if you made two identical worts but one had a bunch of whole hops and the other didn't, the one with the whole hops will have a slightly lower gravity at the same volume.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Jubilee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
+1 and remember that if you account for the lost volume it will affect the OG, regardless of whether you add water to make up for the lost wort or just boil-off less. So if you made two identical worts but one had a bunch of whole hops and the other didn't, the one with the whole hops will have a slightly lower gravity at the same volume.
Thanks for the replies guys. Right now my kettle is only 3 gallons...just bought a fridge and will buy a Corney setup in the next couple weeks. So the brewing budget is a bit tight now. Going to get a larger kettle and propane burner asap!

Next batch with my current equipment, I think I'll try what I mentioned in the OP. I figure the less LME to get stuck/soaked up during the hop boil the better. It'll be a while, but I'll post back to let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply