Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Where should I order a recipe kit online? & DME vs LME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #11
Jeffro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I must have it good at my LHBS...

Extract is $2 a Lb, Hops are $2.50 an OZ, Steeping grains are $1 a Lb, and Wyeast is $4.95 for the propogator (make a starter) pack and $5.95 for the inoculator (pitchable) pack.

That puts me at about $25 a batch.... AND it's right on my way home from work!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #12
Redweasel

Recipes 

Jeffro, where is this magical LBHS? Do they have a website?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #13
Jeffro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweasel
Jeffro, where is this magical LBHS? Do they have a website?

Yes... http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/

Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know about many of the other places people have mentioned because i am new at this, but my LHBS (which is actually 7 hours away) seems to really have their act together. I've used two of their kits and have been very impressed. Prices include liquid yeasts, bottle caps, grain bags and really everything you'd need to brew (minus large hardware, of course), but you can customize the items as needed. They also give you the option of having your grains crushed there or shipped whole.

Again, it just seems to be a well-run place. Oh, and it's based in Tulsa, Okla. If you get their newsletter they often offer things like 10 percent off and such. Not going to make you rich, but will certainly help.

Highgravitybrew.com

Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
Aclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bell's General Store has everything I need, but I should check out some of the online stores. Bell's keeps running out of hops very quickly and it takes them a month to get in their reorders.

The only problem I've found with DME is the foam that it produces when you are adding it to the boil. This foam is produced even if the pots off the fire, though not as much. The only problem I've found with LME is that you have to heat it up before pouring it into your wort. Heating it up (I learned this from the Food network show "Good Eats") lets it pour easier. If you stir the wort you shouldn't have any problems with scortching on either side. I think it's all about personal preferance.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiracle
Wow, Northern Brewer kits went up a little bit from about 6 weeks ago! Still not bad or anything but I'm glad I stocked up.

I 'bout cried when i got their new catalog. Damned hop shortage! Still a great organization, flat rate shipping, LME seemed fresh too. I've brewed 2 kits, the mild ale, which tastes great, and the tongue splitter which is fermenting like a muther right now.... Also ordered my equipment started kit from them. Definitely will order from them again.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

I've ordered from northern brewer and midwest supplies and just yesterday from austin (i assume that's the AHS you guys are always talking about).
prices seem to fluctuate wherever.

I'd love to support my LHBS but the variety for the one in the city of chicago that i know of is just mediocre and the others are all too far from me to get there regularly.

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com
Twitter: BoozyBeggarChi
www.facebook.com/theboozybeggar

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
pdxhophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingpl
I want to buy a beer kit to make my 3rd batch. I am interested in trying steeping grains next. It seems like my LHBS is more expensive when it comes to just about everything. I do support them as much as I can, but I think I would like to order an ingedient kit online to save $ and try some other vendors.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a special on an Amber kit for $19.95 plus you have to pay for some other stuff like yeast. That seems really inexpensive!

I guess my concerns are that the kits seem to come with LME, and so far I have used DME - I read that DME is better? Also the lists of ingredients at some online vendors is not very specific - like how much of what kind of hops come in the kits?

So - do you guys have a recommendation on where to buy the kits, and where to get them with DME (or do I just use LME?). Thank you!
IDK what the prices are like at your LHBS but don't forget to take shipping into consideration when you order online. Especially when it's heavy stuff like extract, or perishables like liquid yeast. You might find that after paying for shipping that you are close to or over what it would cost at your LHBS. If you decided to order I can vouch for Midwest Home Brew Supply, they are the only place I've ordered from and they were very prompt and reasonably priced. I'm lucky enough to have 5 LHBS's within 10 miles of me so I don't order much online.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway

Check out my brew blog Red Kettle Brewery

Primary:Empty
Secondary:EmptyDrinking: Empty
Planning:

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4235 Times on 3089 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Well, austinhomebrew has $6.99 shipping flat rate, so that's a great deal. It's not limited, either- I buy grain, carboys, wine kits, etc.

Northernbrewer.com has $7.99 shipping, but some things (like sacks of grain, carboys, etc) are excluded. A great deal, I think, for both.

I wanted to order a discounted wine kit at Midwest the other day, but shipping for the one wine kit was $14.99 so I didn't order anything after all.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #20
pdxhophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Well, austinhomebrew has $6.99 shipping flat rate, so that's a great deal. It's not limited, either- I buy grain, carboys, wine kits, etc.

Northernbrewer.com has $7.99 shipping, but some things (like sacks of grain, carboys, etc) are excluded. A great deal, I think, for both.

I wanted to order a discounted wine kit at Midwest the other day, but shipping for the one wine kit was $14.99 so I didn't order anything after all.
Like I said I don't order much online. I did remember that Morebeer was offering free shipping on orders over $59, so you might want to check them out. That's a good deal from Austin Hombrew Supply too, I might have to take a look and maybe place an order.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway

Check out my brew blog Red Kettle Brewery

Primary:Empty
Secondary:EmptyDrinking: Empty
Planning:

Quick Reply