New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Where to get rye extract in the UK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Amos,

Check out this site their prices are pretty good although their shipping is a little high and a set price https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_ in_description=1&keyword=Rye

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
zeropanic
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

It's definitely worth trying out some steeped grain prior to the boil to add some different flavours to a basic extract, rather than relying on purely the hops.

I think my wife would definitely like me to try some wine fermenting, lol. She tends to like dry white wines so should be fairly easy to work something out

I'm getting quite a collection of links of mail order sellers. I think I'm going to have to do a very long steep from the rye malt grain by the look of things. Certainly won't get the percentage rye content I want though.

Amos

Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropanic
It's definitely worth trying out some steeped grain prior to the boil to add some different flavours to a basic extract, rather than relying on purely the hops.

I think my wife would definitely like me to try some wine fermenting, lol. She tends to like dry white wines so should be fairly easy to work something out

I'm getting quite a collection of links of mail order sellers. I think I'm going to have to do a very long steep from the rye malt grain by the look of things. Certainly won't get the percentage rye content I want though.

Amos
The rhubarb comes out very dry my wife is the same she likes dry whites and reds.

The link I sent you the malt extract is pretty cheap there £5 for 1kg is good just bulk order lol.

Justin.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
zeropanic
Recipes 

Or I just wait till I get myself a mash tun before I try my idea for a Roggenbier, and go AG

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Or I just wait till I get myself a mash tun before I try my idea for a Roggenbier, and go AG
I have been looking out for a second hand mash tun and can't find one anywhere they're not too cheap new lol.

I get the feeling there aren't many AG brewers in the uk that most just brew from kits because that's mainly what's offered.

That last link I sent you does 25kg bags if grain for a reasonable price :-) my other problem is I only live in a two bedroom min terraced and room isn't that great planning in moving next year and hopefully have more room to brew lol.

Have you read John palmers book ?

Justin

Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
zeropanic
Recipes 

No I've not read his book. As for the mash tun, I might end up converting a cool-box myself unless I manage to pick one up cheap on eBay or any of the home-brew forums. I'd love one of the micro-brewery setups from PowellBrewing but they're certainly beyond my pocket, lol.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
No I've not read his book. As for the mash tun, I might end up converting a cool-box myself unless I manage to pick one up cheap on eBay or any of the home-brew forums. I'd love one of the micro-brewery setups from PowellBrewing but they're certainly beyond my pocket, lol.
Same here lol I will keep looking though. His book is online and you can tea it for free you can learn just about everything you need to know about brewing on there.

I am thinking about maybe converting a cool box too and doing it that way.

Justin

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
zeropanic
Recipes 

Oh, I tell a lie, I recognise some of the pages from his site so must have been on once or twice, lol.

Depends on how cheap I can get a decent sized cool-box. Wonder how easy it would be to insulate a standard bin and just fit a manifold to that instead?

Amos

Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Oh, I tell a lie, I recognise some of the pages from his site so must have been on once or twice, lol.

Depends on how cheap I can get a decent sized cool-box. Wonder how easy it would be to insulate a standard bin and just fit a manifold to that instead?

Amos
That could work I suppose.

It might be more expensive that way though just look for a cheap cool box in home bargains or somewhere like that its coming up to summer (ish) they should be getting them in soon.

Justin.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I nearly made a big mistake I forgot that US and UK gallons are different I need to adapt the recipe.

I have just got an app that converts it all for you.

Justin.

Quick Reply