New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Where to get rye extract in the UK?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 266
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Amos,


Check out this site their prices are pretty good although their shipping is a little high and a set price https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_ in_description=1&keyword=Rye



__________________
scorpien222 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
zeropanic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Posts: 19
Likes Given: 1

Default

It's definitely worth trying out some steeped grain prior to the boil to add some different flavours to a basic extract, rather than relying on purely the hops.

I think my wife would definitely like me to try some wine fermenting, lol. She tends to like dry white wines so should be fairly easy to work something out

I'm getting quite a collection of links of mail order sellers. I think I'm going to have to do a very long steep from the rye malt grain by the look of things. Certainly won't get the percentage rye content I want though.

Amos



__________________
zeropanic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 266
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropanic
It's definitely worth trying out some steeped grain prior to the boil to add some different flavours to a basic extract, rather than relying on purely the hops.

I think my wife would definitely like me to try some wine fermenting, lol. She tends to like dry white wines so should be fairly easy to work something out

I'm getting quite a collection of links of mail order sellers. I think I'm going to have to do a very long steep from the rye malt grain by the look of things. Certainly won't get the percentage rye content I want though.

Amos
The rhubarb comes out very dry my wife is the same she likes dry whites and reds.

The link I sent you the malt extract is pretty cheap there £5 for 1kg is good just bulk order lol.

Justin.
__________________
scorpien222 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
zeropanic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Posts: 19
Likes Given: 1

Default

Or I just wait till I get myself a mash tun before I try my idea for a Roggenbier, and go AG

__________________
zeropanic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 266
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropanic
Or I just wait till I get myself a mash tun before I try my idea for a Roggenbier, and go AG
I have been looking out for a second hand mash tun and can't find one anywhere they're not too cheap new lol.

I get the feeling there aren't many AG brewers in the uk that most just brew from kits because that's mainly what's offered.

That last link I sent you does 25kg bags if grain for a reasonable price :-) my other problem is I only live in a two bedroom min terraced and room isn't that great planning in moving next year and hopefully have more room to brew lol.

Have you read John palmers book ?

Justin
__________________
scorpien222 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
zeropanic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Posts: 19
Likes Given: 1

Default

No I've not read his book. As for the mash tun, I might end up converting a cool-box myself unless I manage to pick one up cheap on eBay or any of the home-brew forums. I'd love one of the micro-brewery setups from PowellBrewing but they're certainly beyond my pocket, lol.

__________________
zeropanic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 266
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropanic
No I've not read his book. As for the mash tun, I might end up converting a cool-box myself unless I manage to pick one up cheap on eBay or any of the home-brew forums. I'd love one of the micro-brewery setups from PowellBrewing but they're certainly beyond my pocket, lol.
Same here lol I will keep looking though. His book is online and you can tea it for free you can learn just about everything you need to know about brewing on there.

I am thinking about maybe converting a cool box too and doing it that way.

Justin
__________________
scorpien222 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
zeropanic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Posts: 19
Likes Given: 1

Default

Oh, I tell a lie, I recognise some of the pages from his site so must have been on once or twice, lol.

Depends on how cheap I can get a decent sized cool-box. Wonder how easy it would be to insulate a standard bin and just fit a manifold to that instead?

Amos

__________________
zeropanic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 266
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropanic
Oh, I tell a lie, I recognise some of the pages from his site so must have been on once or twice, lol.

Depends on how cheap I can get a decent sized cool-box. Wonder how easy it would be to insulate a standard bin and just fit a manifold to that instead?

Amos
That could work I suppose.

It might be more expensive that way though just look for a cheap cool box in home bargains or somewhere like that its coming up to summer (ish) they should be getting them in soon.

Justin.
__________________
scorpien222 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 266
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I nearly made a big mistake I forgot that US and UK gallons are different I need to adapt the recipe.

I have just got an app that converts it all for you.

Justin.



__________________
scorpien222 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smell of All Grain versus Extract or Partial Extract Walking_Target General Beer Discussion 1 01-19-2013 01:44 PM
Extract w/steeped gains vs. Extract Mini-Mash Mikey_Dawg Extract Brewing 13 04-05-2011 05:21 AM
dry malt extract vs. corn sugar for extract brewing Tobyone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-17-2010 05:09 PM
Sapporo Clone with Extract - please recommend rice extract amount NitrouStang96 Recipes/Ingredients 0 04-10-2008 07:19 PM
Conversion Equations: AG to Extract and vice versa || Grain, Extract, Hops, Boil size NitrouStang96 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-01-2008 03:44 AM