when adding hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machine

Reaction score
When it comes time to add the hops to the wort and there's still some foam on top do you have to wait till the foam is gone or is it ok to just put the hops in and start stiring.

I think the standard advice is to wait until the foam (hot break) has subsided, as what tends to happen is you may get another hot break when you add the first hops. At least when the bulk of the foam has subsided, you could add the hops.

What about late wort extract additions. I add my 50 or 40 minute hops way before my extract (which is normally 15 minutes). Does it need to be post-extract?

I'm not an extract brewer, but you don't really want to be boiling hops in plain water. The Ph should be slightly acidic (provided by extract) so as not to extract harsh compounds from the hops.

Agree with mysterio. I do have extract recipes that call for boiling the bittering hops for 45 minutes, than adding malt extract (local HBS). However, most HBS (Austin HBS, Midwest HBS) and books recommend boiling the hops with the extract. However, having said that, both methods seem to produce a good beer. The process is somewhat forgiving. The flavor and aroma hops come at the end of the boil. And let's not forget dry hopping!!

if im adding hops at the beginning i always do it after the hot break.. bring to a boil..remove from heat..let the foam go down..return to heat start the boil time..add the hops.. if they are added at different times in the boil i just add em then!

Back