New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > When to add grains?? Newb Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default When to add grains?? Newb Question

So I have done some different extract kits with specialty grains and I have a question.

Are you supposed to have the grains in the water while getting to temp and then hold for 20 min.

Or are you suppose to bring the water to temp, then add the grains and hold for 20 min.

Also with the specialty grain additions, do you need to sparge with 175 degree water at the end.

Thank for the help.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

If steeping, I have added the grains to lukewarm water and raised the temp up and held for about 15 minutes. Then remove grains and add extract and boil.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Be careful when raising the water temp while you have the grains in there. There is a potential to scorch the grains resting on the bottom of your pot. If you can tie off the grain bag so it does not rest on the bottom, then you are more safe to heat them up along with the water. If not, I'd get my water to temperature, then add the grains.

On Tap #1 - EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
On Tap #2 - Kölsch
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Strawberry Blond
Primary: Cream Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Up next: Guinness Clone, Irish Red

Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

If the grains aren't going to be touching the bottom like bach said...Then it doesn't really matter how you choose to do it. If you put it in cold, you will get more time steeping than the 20 minutes, many would argue that's a good thing, getting more of the steeping goodness out of the grain.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, so it can be done either way. I just didn't know if I would be releasing certain unfermentables from the grain that would cause off flavors by bringing it up to temp along with the water????

Thanks

Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
Ok, so it can be done either way. I just didn't know if I would be releasing certain unfermentables from the grain that would cause off flavors by bringing it up to temp along with the water????

Thanks
Nope...the only issue is going above 70 degrees.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Nope...the only issue is going above 70 degrees.
Revvy, did you have a rare slip up here??

Did you mean 170 degrees? Perhaps you work in centigrade!

To the OP, do pay attention to this scorching issue. I've burned through the bottom of a grain bag myself.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Revvy, did you have a rare slip up here??

Did you mean 170 degrees? Perhaps you work in centigrade!

To the OP, do pay attention to this scorching issue. I've burned through the bottom of a grain bag myself.
Lol, you're right I meant 170.....You know I hate these Dell mini keyboards I have big ass hands and make so many f-ups on these things.

Quick Reply