Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > When to add Belgian candy sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
pjk49202@yahoo.com
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default When to add Belgian candy sugar?

I am thinking about doing a triple of some sort this weekend and i have a question regarding sugar. At what point in an hour boil do you add the candi sugar? I have done a triple before but that was when i did not save the recipes and do not know when i added it then or when i should add it now.

Here is what I am thinking for the recipe

9.9 lbs ex-light DME

1 lb belgian candi sugar

.25 lbs carapils
.25 lbs caravienne

1 oz styrian gold@60min
1 oz spalter select@5min

1000 ml 1214/570 starter-this will be my first yeast starter. the yeast is from a belgian golden i did about a month ago that i had stored in my fridge. trying to do the yeast banking thing.

Thanks for the help!

primary: none
secondary: belgian golden strong ale
bottled: wheat
on deck: triple

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sugar can be added with five minutes left in the boil, no problem. Do remember to take the kettle off the heat to prevent scorching and caramelization.

What brand DME did you buy? Muntons extracts ferment very dry on their own; you may wish to rethink adding candisugar, lest the beer end up too dry. Tripel should be fairly dry, but not so dry as to mask flavor.

Good luck!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yeah especially for a tripel, which you want to keep light, i'd add it in the last 5-10 mins along with the bulk of that extract.

some extracts do ferment drier than others, but whatever kind it is you've got 10 pounds of it. i'd say some sugar is probably appropriate.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could add the candi sugar after the most vigorous portion of the fermentation is done. Just boil it for 5 minutes or until it all dissolves and add it to your primary. I think this is supposed to put less strain on the yeast when you do a high gravity recipe like yours.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
pjk49202@yahoo.com
Recipes 

interesting, i had no clue you could add it to your primary fermenter. what difference would it make if i add it in the boil as apposed to the after it's starts to ferment?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2999 Times on 2953 Posts
Likes Given: 28

just out of curisosity mainly... but did you mean to say LME because 9.9 lbs seems a little unusual for DME. It will make a decent difference in your OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
debaniel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk49202@yahoo.com View Post
interesting, i had no clue you could add it to your primary fermenter. what difference would it make if i add it in the boil as apposed to the after it's starts to ferment?
for a high gravity brew like this, yeast can get a bit overwhelmed initially. If you step up the gravity gradually during fermentation (rather than put everything in the boil), you can provide your yeast with a better environment, and see better attenuation.

adding it to the primary allows the yeast to consume a decent portion of the sugar in your wort before going to town on the sugar...

so, ya, for high gravity brews i will add the extra sugars (be it honey, or candi sugar, etc) during the peak of fermentation, or perhaps just as it's passed it's peak...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
pjk49202@yahoo.com
Recipes 

Quote:
just out of curisosity mainly... but did you mean to say LME because 9.9 lbs seems a little unusual for DME. It will make a decent difference in your OG
I was thinking of using 3 Muntons DME packages. Which I think are 3.3 lbs? Or maybe they are 3 lbs each. I am not sure of the weight.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrim View Post
You could add the candi sugar after the most vigorous portion of the fermentation is done. Just boil it for 5 minutes or until it all dissolves and add it to your primary. I think this is supposed to put less strain on the yeast when you do a high gravity recipe like yours.
I agree, I added the Belgian candi sugar after fermentation died down to my 999 barleywine. I just put it in a couple cups of water and brought it to a boil to sanitize/liquify then dumped in the fermenter after cooling it back down a bit.

Edit: this was homemade amber candi sugar I'd made a few days before. Very easy and fun to do.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Xtynct Likes This 
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
pjk49202@yahoo.com
Recipes 

I revised my recipe a bit. I needed up using only 7 lbs of light lme. so my og for thie was 1.055. A bit lower than I had hoped but I am going to adding in the sugar and today and we will see how it goes from there. Thanks for the advice!!

Quick Reply