Which Wheat extract do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Brands please.

I've been searching for ingredients to brew a Weizen but not sure which way to go. I see that Ireks is not available any more. Williams Brewing's DME uses American wheat and barley malts. I want to get as close to a true Bavarian Hefe as I can.

Let me know what you use.

I've read reviews from top brewers who insist that ingredients (in terms of brands) are irrelevant and fermentation is all that matters. That being said, I'd have to imagine that a wheat DME is a wheat DME. It wouldn't be in their best interest to make it taste any different from exactly what the brewer is expecting.

I did a wheat loosely based on a recipe that called for Ireks and couldn't find it. I ended up using Muntons wheat DME. It took awhile for the carbonation to get up to snuff, but eventually, it turned out excellent. I'll soon be trying to duplicate the recipe as an all-grain.

Cheesefood said:
I've read reviews from top brewers who insist that ingredients (in terms of brands) are irrelevant and fermentation is all that matters. That being said, I'd have to imagine that a wheat DME is a wheat DME. It wouldn't be in their best interest to make it taste any different from exactly what the brewer is expecting.

I have to disagree with this wholeheartedly. Ingredients make all the difference in the world. If you don't think so, just compare any Brittish ale made with american 6 row barley and compare it to the same recipe made with 100 percent Marris Otter pale malt. Night and day difference even if all other ingredients and procedures are the same.

To duplicate certain styles, you need to get as close to the same ingredients and procedures as the origonal. In this case, I looking for extract liquid or dry that uses a 50-70 percent German white weat malt and a 30-50 percent pils german or czech pils malt. When I start all grain brewing (this spring) I'll do it myself.

I know that Shneider and Sohn's Hefe or Weihenstephaner Hefe aren't brewed with extract but since I'm not doing all grain yet so I'm trying to get a close as I can.

Back