Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Wheat ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
mdwmonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Wheat ESB

Just finished brewing up a batch of ESB. When I was cleaning up, I noticed my LHBS sold me 3lbs of Briess Wheat Malt instead of light DME. I know, my faut for not reading the label....but at any rate....I didn't.

So, I ended up with 4lbs of light DME and 3 of Bavarian wheat. Used Kent Goldings to get to around 40 IBUs, and pitched Safale S-04. Any idea if this will be worth anything? I'm not going to dump it, but I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, so I'm kind of unsure what I'll get.

Thanks or any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Wheat just has a sweeter-tasting finish and contributes smoothness/head retention. It's not going to make a bad beer, but maybe not a great one. Definitely keep it around.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if you dislike wheat beers its most likely from the yeast not the wheat, i'd bet it comes out fine. besides, its not even 1/3 wheat (briess wheat is like 65% wheat), so it'll prolly just be a lil sweeter with a massive head

Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I calculate it out to be about 28% of the grist. Likely enough to be noticeable, but hopefully not enough to be off-putting. I'll follow up in a few weeks when it is drinkable. Who knows - could be spectacular.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwmonster View Post
Yeah, I calculate it out to be about 28% of the grist. Likely enough to be noticeable, but hopefully not enough to be off-putting. I'll follow up in a few weeks when it is drinkable. Who knows - could be spectacular.
Please do update! Sometimes mistakes like this turn out great.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
Please do update! Sometimes mistakes like this turn out great.
Update: Sampled some of this over the weekend. It has been in the bottle for 3 weeks, but still seems a little green. Overall, I was pleased with the results. Beer is a deep honey color with good aroma (as expected for a ESB). Pours to a nice two finger head (I wish I'd snapped a photo - maybe next time). There is a bit of wheaty aftertaste, which is slightly odd with the relatively high hop bitterness (40 IBUs of Kent Goldings), but it isn't bad, just seems unexpected. What I like is the "you can't buy that" feeling of this beer. It is truly unique, if unintentional. If I were to intentionally do it again, I'd cut back on the wheat - maybe more in the 1 to 2 pounds. At the end of the day, it is a drinkable beer. The beer has a lighter feel that some other ESB's I've had, and drinks crisp and not heavy. It is pleasant, and enjoyable. Perhaps not the best I've made, but I wouldn't think twice about sharing the batch with friends. And I guess in that light, it was a success, even if it wasn't what I wanted it to be.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

As this beer has aged, it has really come together nicely. I'm happier with the results after 5 weeks in the bottle than I was with 3 weeks in the bottle. The wheaty aftertaste is all but gone, and the beer has a pleasant crispness to it. The body is decent for a beer of that gravity, and it does pour to a beautiful head. Head dissipates quickly, but that my have more to do with washing my glasses in the dishwasher. Either way, I like this beer. I'm still not sure I'd do it again, but if you like little wheat in your beer, it would be worth a go. I'd be happy to share the recipe if anyone wants would like make a batch of their own.

Quick Reply