New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What will I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
pkincaid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What will I get?

I've got some left over unhopped LME a little over 3lbs, and hops, and no extra grains. I've got a couple batches under my belt that came out amazing, but they took much larger amounts of LME. So far only one of my recipes called for extra grains to be steeped. I've looked for purely extract beers and most call for a bag of something...

I was wondering if I make a wort from this LME and my hops, with some additional fermentables, will I get a decent 5 gallon batch of drinkable beer? I don't want to waste it by throwing it out, but I need to use it soon.

I'm willing to experiment...just asking for ideas.

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:RootbeerKegged ((Drinking))RootbeerUp Next: "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale, by BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Three pounds of LME will get you a beer in the low to mid 20 range for gravity. I've actually got a tafel bier going right now that started in that range. However, there were grains involved as well as extract. You could just shoot for a smaller batch size.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
pkincaid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

But with no grains, it's not going to hurt anything right?

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:RootbeerKegged ((Drinking))RootbeerUp Next: "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale, by BierMuncher

Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If I were in that position, I'd get a jug of honey and make a quick braggot with it.

But I've had braggots on my mind for a few days now, so that could explain my impulse.

6 lbs of honey with that LME would give you about 1.065 as an OG for a nice light braggot. Hmmm... I might just do this myself. heheh

Last edited by ChshreCat; 08-29-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

yea youd be fine without grains. You could do what chshrecat is suggesting for a full batch, or you could shoot for a smaller batch as well. But you should be fine regardless of what you choose.

actually, i just looked up what braggot was as i did not know, and it seems that you have all the ingredients to you need to make it! Just get that honey! +1 to Mr. Cat.

Last edited by pwndabear; 08-30-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
starrfish

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
If I were in that position, I'd get a jug of honey and make a quick braggot with it.

But I've had braggots on my mind for a few days now, so that could explain my impulse.

6 lbs of honey with that LME would give you about 1.065 as an OG for a nice light braggot. Hmmm... I might just do this myself. heheh
+2 braggot with 6lbs honey... I have 5-6lbs of local honey coming from a bee hobbiest ... will be expensive but love all mead products. worth the price never done a braggot!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

First, you don't need to use it soon. LME lasts for months at room temperature and almost forever in the fridge.

Second, you can make 3 gallons of a 3.5% Pale. Depending on the hops you have, read up on hop bursting.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
70ls1nova
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Get a bag of DME and throw it in there. It would be just like one of those Cooper kits.

Quick Reply