The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What will happen lager yeast at higher temps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
beerdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What will happen lager yeast at higher temps?

I ordered a Corona clone kit that came with White Labs Mexican Lager yeast. I don't have the fridge to ferment it properly. The instructions said it was best to ferment at cooler temps (50-55) but it gave instructions for brewing at normal fermentation temps. I went ahead and made it. What can I expect when it's done? Do you have any tips for me to make it turn out better?

Now I did it again. I ordered an Old English 800 clone that uses White Labs American Pilsner lager yeast. Should I use that yeast or substitute a non-lager yeast?

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A times I made Lager beers without controlling the temperatures precisely according to the instructions. I guess the beer didn't turn out exactly according to how the style of beer should turn out, but it was good drinkable beer nonetheless.

I guess if you change yeasts or not really depends on what you expect to get, but I wouldn't worry about ruining the beer or anything.

Do you like Ales ? Then maybe you want to get an Ale yeast. I think I'd just try to keep the fermenter cool in a cooler and go with the Lager yeast, after you bottle it and let it sit for a month or so it will taste great.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
beerdad
Recipes 

I've been fermenting the Corona clone at room temp around 72-75. Fermemtation is done and it's in the secondary. Should I give it extra time in the secondary? What kind of off flavors if any should I expect from fermenting at too high of a temp?

Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA

Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

An Olde English clone? You mean the malt liquor that comes in 40 oz. bottles for a buck each?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
beerdad
Recipes 

Yep trencher that's the one. I'm making it because my buddy lives on the stuff. Not my personal choice, but I will drink it.

Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Drinking Double IPA

Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aah... well once you've convinced your buddy that your beer is good you can help him find something else he likes.

OTOH I have missed those Mickeys 40s we drank in college. They don't sell that stuff in big bottles around here any more.

Good luck with the brew!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
beerdad
Recipes 

He did really enjoy my pale ale. Too bad I only had one bottle for him. He's been drinking that stuff for a while. It's a cheap strong buzz.

Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Drinking Double IPA

Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdad
I've been fermenting the Corona clone at room temp around 72-75. Fermemtation is done and it's in the secondary. Should I give it extra time in the secondary? What kind of off flavors if any should I expect from fermenting at too high of a temp?

Well your mileage my vary - I made the same beer at about the same temperature with a Lager yeast and there were some slight tastes of green apples in the first bottles I tried. After it sat in the bottles for 5-6 weeks no off flavors and it was great.

Whatever you make will nodoubt be better than Corona from the store, I don't think Ale temperatures will destroy your Lager beer, they might make it flawed so that a beer snob would feel the need to pick out the flaws and show you what you did wrong, but you can be confident that it will end up better than a Corona. Just give it some time in the bottles to condition and you'll be golden.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
mawa
Recipes 

An infected batch will be better than corona!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I'm not very familiar with that yeast, but I would expect you will get some esters that you didn't expect, as well as that acetaldehyde (green apple) that Mutilated 1 mentioned. It won't be spoiled, or anything like that.

I agree that, no matter what happens (barring brett infection), you'll have something better that what you would buy in the store.

You're a good friend for brewing that stuff. Next, be a better friend and brew some truly good stuff!

TL

Quick Reply