Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > At what temperature does fermentation become "dangerous"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEcted1
I was gonna submerge it in water but decided to try something else... I got a bath towel, got it good and wet, then stuck it in the freezer for about 25 mins to make sure it was nice and cold. I wrapped the towel around the carboy and it's been at a consistent 71 degrees for about 6 1/2 hours now (I made sure the towel wasn't directly touching the thermometer sticker thingie so I would have an accurate temperature). Since this seems to last for quite awhile I will have plenty of time to re-wet and keep the towel cold enough.

Not sure if this is a common "trick" for people that have heat problems, but it's working extremely well for me.
Great that it works for you.

I'm not sure if putting it in the freezer did the trick for you. It's probaply just the evaporation that is drawing heat out of the carboy. Just make sure the towel stays wet.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kai
Great that it works for you.

I'm not sure if putting it in the freezer did the trick for you. It's probaply just the evaporation that is drawing heat out of the carboy. Just make sure the towel stays wet.

Kai
You're probably right. I was just paranoid (as usual) because the temp was climbing so high... I ended up putting it in the freezer to try and get the heat down as quickly as possible. Seems great though, I woke up this morning and after 9 hours I was at 72 degrees (it gained 1 degree over night... BFD =)

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
Thor

Recipes 

Keep in mind that the temperature of the room, even near your fermenter, is likely to be 5-10 degrees cooler than the actual temperature inside the fermenter. So, a room at 75 degrees or more is likely to produce significant esters and other funny (but not deadly!) things in your brew.

If you feel like spending a fair amount, there are fermenters with cooling units that can bring the ambient temperature down 50 degrees from room (or garage, or outdoor) temperature. Of course, $1200 to $2500 is a bit of an investment, more than this happy camper can justify. (example: http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?...yword=&x=1&y=1). It is fun to dream, though! Perhaps someone who heats his home to 80 degrees can indulge in such extravagance!

Enjoy!

-------------
On-deck: an ESB; a Sierra Nevada Porter clone; an Irish Ale
Primary: cleaning
Secondary 1: Summer Wheat
Secondary 2: American Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Lonely
Bottled/Drinking: Heineken clone w/Calif. Ale yeast; Fat Tire clone

Old 03-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #14
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Keep in mind that the temperature of the room, even near your fermenter, is likely to be 5-10 degrees cooler than the actual temperature inside the fermenter. So, a room at 75 degrees or more is likely to produce significant esters and other funny (but not deadly!) things in your brew.

If you feel like spending a fair amount, there are fermenters with cooling units that can bring the ambient temperature down 50 degrees from room (or garage, or outdoor) temperature. Of course, $1200 to $2500 is a bit of an investment, more than this happy camper can justify. (example: http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?...yword=&x=1&y=1). It is fun to dream, though! Perhaps someone who heats his home to 80 degrees can indulge in such extravagance!
Wow! Those are awesome!

Of coarse... I can't afford one... but maybe if I keep saving my pennies!

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #15
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

I also have problems keeping beer below 70 degrees. I keep it in a tub of cold water, replacing with cold tap water everyday. When I have freezer space, I keep a one gallon jug of water in there, a second in the tub, and switch them out everyday. This gives me the best results with the least amount of effort.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Quick Reply