The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > At what temperature does fermentation become "dangerous"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
MrEcted1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default At what temperature does fermentation become "dangerous"?

I had a little mishap this morning... I went into the room where I was brewing and the temp was too high (it was off the scale on the side of my carboy, 78 degrees showed up light blue so it was probably around 80 or more) I had to turn the heat down in the house and crack a window open in hopes to bring it back down to 70-75 range.

I am just wondering at what temperature does it become dangerous for unwanted flavors to appear? I noticed a fruity but slightly rotted smell coming out of my air-lock

Primary: Porter Potty (oaked porter)
Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Dangerous, as in, it will kill you?

A temp spike up to 80 is not going to do anything great to your beer: high temps bring out the estery, fruity flavors in an ale, which I wouldn't consider a positive in a nut brown. But it's not going to wreck it. Yeast don't like dramatic temp changes--closets or pantry cupboards can be good environments because they don't get much airflow or sunlight and therefore tend to not fluctuate in temp as much as other parts of the house.

Ideally you'd probably like that brew to be fermenting at more like about 68-72. Keep in mind that during active fermentation, the fermenting wort generates a few degrees of extra heat above the ambient temp.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Last edited by cweston; 03-07-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEcted1
I had a little mishap this morning... I went into the room where I was brewing and the temp was too high (it was off the scale on the side of my carboy, 78 degrees showed up light blue so it was probably around 80 or more) I had to turn the heat down in the house and crack a window open in hopes to bring it back down to 70-75 range.

I am just wondering at what temperature does it become dangerous for unwanted flavors to appear? I noticed a fruity but slightly rotted smell coming out of my air-lock
Whow, what temp do you keep your house at?

Above 75F is definetaly to much for a clean fermentation. You should try to keep it below 70F. Look at the temp range recommended for the yeast that you are using.

Kai

Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
MrEcted1
Recipes 

I have my house at about 72 degrees. I guess that room is generating more heat then the others. I'll move it to a closet

Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEcted1
I have my house at about 72 degrees. I guess that room is generating more heat then the others. I'll move it to a closet
Do you have any closets, where the back of the closet is an outside wall?
I found that these closets stay coldest during the winter. You could regulate the temp by keeping the door open a little.

Kai

Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sometimes you can just move your fermenter across the room and it will be 5 degrees cooler.

Just move it from where it is now.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
MrEcted1
Recipes 

I do have a closet I can use... not sure if the wifey wants it there or not.

I did move the fermenter and it made no change... I need a closed area because my house is one level and we have cats that would just love to play with the air-lock

Well... guess we'll have fruity nut-brown ale =)

Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):

Old 03-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could sit the fermenter in a tub of water, and cool the water with blocks of ice. It's pretty easy to maintain it 10-15 degrees cooler that way. That also has the advantage of isolating the beer from daily temp fluctuations.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 AM   #9
MrEcted1
Recipes 

I was gonna submerge it in water but decided to try something else... I got a bath towel, got it good and wet, then stuck it in the freezer for about 25 mins to make sure it was nice and cold. I wrapped the towel around the carboy and it's been at a consistent 71 degrees for about 6 1/2 hours now (I made sure the towel wasn't directly touching the thermometer sticker thingie so I would have an accurate temperature). Since this seems to last for quite awhile I will have plenty of time to re-wet and keep the towel cold enough.

Not sure if this is a common "trick" for people that have heat problems, but it's working extremely well for me.

Secondary:
Bottled:
Bottled (Drinking):

Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Looks like a good solution.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply