New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What to make - second brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
FairWeatherSmoker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What to make - second brew

My first batch is still in the primary, but since reading all these posts on so many many different flavors of beer - I am wondering what to try next.

My first batch is an American Light - just because I usually drink Miller Light, sometimes a Tecate, or Dos Equis and rarely a Fosrester.

I don't want to make 5 gallons of something I won't drink, so I THINK I want something a little different, but not too much.

I don't like the dark beers.

A pale ale has been suggested, but I don't really know what that taste like.

For what ever you suggest as a next brew, is there a commercial sort of equivalent to test taste ?

I have never yet tasted a home brew, so I am looking forward to this first batch !!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
web250
Recipes 

Well my second batch is an american pale ale...and since someone suggested it, but you're not sure what it tastes like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_pale_ale
http://beerrecipes.org/bjcpguidelines.php?id=23

Upcoming: None
Primary: Steam Beer
Conditioning: None
Drinking: Oktoberfest, Blonde Ale

Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I suggest before you brew that you go to the nicest beer store and see if they'll let you mix a six pack. Try a selection of beers and see what appeals to you.

I'd suggest a pale ale (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale), an Amber ale, (Alaskan Amber if you can get it), Rogue Dead Guy, Sam Adams Boston Ale, and maybe one Newcastle Brown ale if you could find those. They them and see if you like any of them and what you like about them. They you'll know how to start narrowing it down a little to a style.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

is your first batch an american light lager? in which case do you have capabilities to lager your beer after fermentation?

what have you tried in terms of "darker" beers? I personally am quickly becoming a hop head and cant wait to try my hand at a nice hoppy IPA, but i also love stouts and kolschs too.

Maybe you could try a hefe? those are nice and light but lots of flavor as well

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
FairWeatherSmoker
Recipes 

Default Too much information !!!

I looked at those sites and it was interesting. I have NEVER heard or seen any of those commercial brews at Kroger or the booze store, but then again I never looked.

I printed a copy & will go and look. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
HBRunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know I have to go to the liquer store here, and they let you mix and match a 6 of decent beers...

I got another Rogue Amber Ale, a hefe, a brown nut ale, oatmeal stout and something else......Rogue beers are hard to get here........The Krogers here have a good selection of microbrews....at least the popular ones.......

Chad

Chad

Primary: Rogue Dead Guy clone, Sweetwater 420 clone
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: I don't bottle
Next up: IPA and something, and american ale maybe

Kegged:Chocolate Oatmeal Stoute

Old 01-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Finn
Recipes 

Um ... if FairWeatherSmoker really likes light pilsners, he's not likely to groove on Dead Guy ...

But then, you never know.

My advice for research: In addition to the brands mentioned, find one example of the following styles: Brown ale, nut brown ale, British bitter (not ESB), ESB, mild British ale if you can find it, and most important of all, hefeweissen. These are all mild beers that won't make you gag if you aren't a hop head. (Ironically, the darkest of them are among the mildest.) This will give you an idea of what you like and you can go from there.

Brewing a lager is a pain in the a##. And, it takes MONTHS instead of WEEKS. There are lots of lagers that you would probably like but they're hard to do right. Ales are far easier and many of us actually prefer them (me included).

On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Im probably the only guy on this site that dont like SNPA but How about a Steam beer?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Finn
Recipes 

Steam, yeah, good idea. I've never brewed one but I hear they're not too hard to do.

Cheers!

--Finn

On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Steam, yeah, good idea. I've never brewed one but I hear they're not too hard to do.

Cheers!

--Finn
Nope Steam is easy, and it is my fav style of beer just brewed one a couple of weeks ago and it looks and tastes amazing cant wait until its aged enough. Anyone want the recipe for it let me know, FYI the hops are not the same that are used in Traditional steam beers.

Rich

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply