Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What kind of water do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Chloromine can't be boiled away. you need to use campden tablets to get it out. My tap water is soft,& is pretty good for AE beers. Was even ok for steeping. Then I got the idea to get Ohio spring water from Giant Eagle for 79c per gallon to try. Beers tasted a lil bit better. Then I remembered the two local spring water places 15-20 minutes from home.
I can get local spring water for 10c per gallon that so far tastes real good. The yeasties do seem to have a ball in wort produced with it. So search for local spring water sources. It can be cheaper directly pumped from the source. Darn stuff is def cold coming out of the ground too.
Amuzing problem was,though,upon getting to both places & seeing the price,we both realized that "somebody's gotta run back & get a shiz load of dimes"!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I use reverse osmosis water and add gypsum if i'm brewing a hop forward style beer.

My local Home Depot just had a free water testing service. An old spring that we used to get water from was developed over...but I found another one. I'll be dropping by there and filling up the sample jar sooon.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used to waste money on bottled water. Then my bro-in-law gave me a brand new GE 2 stage sediment/carbon block under sink filter setup.
I pitched all the faucet and mounting hardware and attached a garden hose adapter and a couple of feet of 1/2" clear hose to the inlet side and 4' of the same hose to the outlet side.

AP

Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I just checked with water works, was told the total chlorine content including chloramine here is 1.5 mg/L at the treatment plant, 1.0mg/L at the distribution plant and could be as low as .5mg/L by the time it comes out of the faucet.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 1: Citrarillo IPA
Primary 2: Big Baltic Porter
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am on a well and the well water has a very high iron an manganese content. Fine to use for drinking, cooking, and general needs after it goes through my softener and filtration system but not good to brew with. I use bottled spring water from the local grocery store or Detroit city water I bring home from work. I treat the city water with campden tabs to get rid of the chlorine and chloramine.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Hanr3
Recipes 

Tap water, minerals and all. We have hard water, very hard water. I enjoy every drop.

Teach me o wise one.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
GB951
Recipes 

I used filtered water just in case theres too much cholrine.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've used distilled water, drinking water, spring water and now use tap water that is ran thru a PUR filter attached to my faucet. They all produced good tasting beer the only difference I could tell was the extra $5 I lost buying water.

I brewed my butthead belgian white using distilled, spring and tap water and they all have tasted the same to me.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Quick Reply