Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What is Extract Funk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #31
Hop_Hero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm and extract brewer and I've never had an issue with a "twang" or off flavor. I do a full wort boil and I've always done a combination of LME and DME in my brews. My LHBS sells LME in 6lb containers and most recipes call for more than that so I adjust to use DME for the rest. Usually it comes out to 6lbs lme and 1-2 lbs dme. I have an 8 gallon kettle and steep my grains, bring to a boil, add all the lme then I add the DME at 20 minutes. My homebrew club has a few bjcp judges and only one of my beers they could tell was an extract brew and that was a blonde ale.

Seems like I'm the exception rather than the rule, judging from everyone's posts. I bought my equipment know I'd be going all grain in about a year so I do full boils, have a wort chiller, and I'm super anal about fermentation temps.

Primary: Belgian Wit
Secondary: Nada
Bottled: Arrogant Butthole, Arrogant Butthole on Oak and Chinook, Rebel Red (West Coast Red)
Next: Barley Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #32
kenyabob
Recipes 

I do experience this strange after taste —*as others have commented, something somewhat sweet but not desirable. The one area of my process that seems to be less than optimal is that I do partial boils. I boil down to about 3 or 3.5 gallons, and then top off.

My next purchase will be a 40 qt pot, and I will do a full boil with maybe late extract addition.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you can get superfresh LME (say from morebeer), it is really nice stuff and can make excellent beer. I have never messed with the can stuff myself, so I can't say. If you are in doubt, go with DME.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
globe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im about to take on my first brew day this weekend. I bought a black ipa kit from the LHBS. It only has LME, steeping grains, and hops. Is steeping the grains good enough to allow for good hop utilization or do i need some DME if I am adding LME at flame out?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I think of it as a little bit hose water and a little bit metallic. Took me a few batches to get that you can eliminate most of that twang by taking the pot off the burner and adding 3/4 of the LME at flameout.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #36
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe View Post
Im about to take on my first brew day this weekend. I bought a black ipa kit from the LHBS. It only has LME, steeping grains, and hops. Is steeping the grains good enough to allow for good hop utilization or do i need some DME if I am adding LME at flame out?
Add the plain DME to the boil,LME at flame out & steep covered for 15 minutes.

Quick Reply