The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What is Extract Funk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Im just not sure that addition timing is the main culprit, unless you mean to say the addition timing is different for LME and DME. I always add half extract at start of boil, the rest with 30min remaining. I do this with both liquid and dry malt extract. I use the same brewing and fermentation techniques with both, but have only had issues with the liquid. To me this a fairly scientific approach since I am keeping 95-98 percent of my variables constant and only changing the type of extract. I would say say my DME brews have been great, comparable with commercial craft beers, however the LME batches for the most part taste stale, lacking a bright taste, and are even mildly astringent. The flavor definitely improves with age as my last batch did, but still...

I have heard that liquid extract can go stale relatively quickly, and i would imagine that this has to do with the water present in the LME oxidizes the sugars in the malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Exactly, this phenomenon seems to plague LME more than DME

Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
I always thought of the twang as a semi metallic bite.. kinda like putting a penny in your mouth for just a second.. that's how I perceive it as but it's different with everyone
me too

Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I don't think even adding the remaing LME at 30 minutes is a good thing. I add all the LME at flame out. With half a 3lb bag of plain DME in the 2.5-3 gallon boil. Steeping it at flame out is fine,since the wort is still about 180F when you add the late additions. Steep 15 minutes covered pasteurizes it,since this happens at about 162F.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
ubenumber2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just opened up a bottle of a belgium dubbel I brewed using 7lbs of lme, its been in the bottle for 12 days and the flavor of the beer is very close to the smell of the lme coming out of the pouch , I bought it from Morebeer and they say all their LME is fresh.

Will this taste back off the longer it stays in the bottle? the beer finished up at 6.9%

Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
I don't think even adding the remaing LME at 30 minutes is a good thing. I add all the LME at flame out. With half a 3lb bag of plain DME in the 2.5-3 gallon boil. Steeping it at flame out is fine,since the wort is still about 180F when you add the late additions. Steep 15 minutes covered pasteurizes it,since this happens at about 162F.
At flame out? Ive never heard of anyone doing this. If it works for you, more power to ya, haha, I guess Im just traditional and add half at start of boil and the rest at 30 min. Its given me good results, so Im going to keep doing it.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #27
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
however the LME batches for the most part taste stale, lacking a bright taste, and are even mildly astringent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
At flame out? Ive never heard of anyone doing this. If it works for you, more power to ya, haha, I guess Im just traditional and add half at start of boil and the rest at 30 min. Its given me good results, so Im going to keep doing it.
If using LME, adding at flame out works. Sounds like you haven't had good luck with LME so if you need to use it again maybe the "tradional" way isn't the best option. Even boiling LME for 30 minutes can be too long.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #28
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey

If using LME, adding at flame out works. Sounds like you haven't had good luck with LME so if you need to use it again maybe the "tradional" way isn't the best option. Even boiling LME for 30 minutes can be too long.
That is a good point, I hadnt considered that. I had planned to just stick w DME, however if LME is the only option I try that out.

What exactly happens to the LmE when boilied for that long that would cause the off flavors? And how is this different than DME?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #29
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts

That I don't really know. Some people say it is because it caramelizes, LME can scorch on the bottom of the pan easier, it doesn't stay as fresh. Not sure if it is becasue of all of these or one or another.

But I think you want some in there for the whole boil. So if using all LME most say to add around 1/3 for the full boil and rest at flame out.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #30
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

It's the mailard reactions with the LME that causes the twang & darkening. Even at 30 minutes. That's why I use DME in the boil & LME at flame out. The wort is still plenty hot enough to pasteurize it at that point. No twang & color is lighter.

Quick Reply